23. The End

"She had that Honda loaded down, with Abercrombie clothes and 15 pairs of shoes and his American Express."

-Kenny Chesney, There Goes My Life

~18 years later~

"It's just Stanford Mom! It's only like 6 hours from your guys' LA house, less in a plane," Autumn stated, trying desperately to comfort Taylor.

"I know, I know," Taylor said.

Our daughter, Autumn, who was 19, a tall 5'11 and a half with straight blonde hair, an athletic frame, and a beautiful smile, was headed off to college, Standford University to be exact, to major in psychology. 18 years with her had flown by. We had already moved her into her dorm room, but today, she was leaving for good. Classes started in four days and she wanted to get settled in a comfortable with her routes to classes.

I put my arm around Taylor and squeezed her against me. She was crying.

Autumn shifted her weight then stepped over and hugged her mom tightly.

"I love you, Mom," she whispered.

"I love you too baby," Taylor whispered back, choking back tears.

Autumn pulled away from Taylor and turned to hug me. I could see there were tears in her eyes too. She squeezed me tightly.

"I love you, Daddy," she whispered into my chest.

"I love you too," I replied.

Autumn stepped back and smiled her usual lopsided smile.

"Well I should get going, I guess," she said, turning to her car.

As she climbed into her car, Taylor began rattling off mom things. Don't speed, don't text and drive, be careful, call when you get there.

Autumn hid an eye roll from her mom, but not me. I gave her a look but she just smirked back at me. She started her car and started rolling away from the curb. We both waved as she drove off. Once she was gone, Taylor leaned into me and buried her head into the crook of my shoulder.

I lead her back into the house. I laid down on the couch and she laid next to me, her head on my chest.

"So what do we do now Taybae?" I asked.

She took a deep breath and spoke.

"I'm going to start songwriting again," she stated, "But just writing, I'm sure the talentless auto tuned singers of the music industry could use a few more songs floating around."

"Well good," I said, "But what do I do?"

"Love me," she replied, sounding instead of like a 45 year old woman, but like a 6 year old girl.

"Oh honey, I already do that," I murmured into her hair before leaning down to kiss her lips, "Because that's all I've ever known."