Chapter 8 - Smiling Through It

Start from the beginning

I tried covering up the marks with makeup, but even as pale as I could make it, would look like cause for concern so and definitely not telling a soul about this. I slipped up by telling Jen in the bathroom. I feel so bad about Saturday and Daniel.. shit! I've been a terrible friend and she's been trying to get hold of me. Guess I can't avoid everyone forever. We got a race in Bahrain this weekend. Hope the marks look better by then.

I go with a black and white stripe long sleeve, chunky neck jersey and a black skirt that is gently pushing the boundaries of work attire, but who cares? It's covered up everything securely. Couldn't bother with my hair or makeup today my shoulder is killing me. Driving was hard with one arm in actual use. I got into the office and went straight to my desk, there was too much risk of running into someone like Jamie or... Daniel. I make a mental note to reply to everyone before I see them.

Once I'm settled I take out my phone. Who's first?

My brother will be the easiest

Hey bro, sorry had such a lazy day yesterday. Left my phone upstairs. Everything okay?

Almost immediately my phone beeps

- Yo, was just checking in to see if Ryan got home safely. I was too wasted to drive him myself

Oh yeah, he's fine. Thanks. See you later

Okay one down, two more to go. Jen is next

Hey my love, I'm so sorry I didn't answer your calls yesterday. I had so much work to do. Let's catch up today okay. Love you

- Lunchtime? 😊

Done ❤️

Okay that's two.. Now Daniel

Hey Lex, checking in. Remember I'm here x

I don't know how to reply to that, I know it would haunt me if I just lied to him completely so I'll be honest about one aspect

Definitely one for the books

I struggled for about five minutes deciding on whether or not to add the x at the end of the text , in the end I left it out. Seems too friendly and I don't mean like kids in a playground if you know what I'm getting at.

You know where to find me. Ready for Bahrain?

I love that he's changed the subject, it's like we've been friends for years. The knowing looks he gives me make me nervous like he's seeing me naked. Maybe I'm just reading into things too much, wouldn't be the first time.

As much as I can be

I put my phone down and get into my emails, shit I didn't reply yesterday like I wanted to. This is going to take me hours.

"Coffee?" I look up to see Nico with a huge coffee from the Cafe down the road.

"Life saver!" I wink and tell him to sit down.

"Not today doll, got some work to do in the simulator, they've just done some crazy upgrades and I'm quite excited."

"Ooh that sounds like fun, maybe we should make it part of this race's vlog?" New ideas flying around in my head.

"Yeah Daniel's going in after me so I better get things started, maybe put in a few top scores for him to aspire to." We both start laughing

At lunch I stop over at Jen's desk, she's going to want to have this conversation about Dan away from the office. We decide to go down to the Cafe, they have some tables in the back which is nice and secluded.