Back to the Beginning

BACK TO THE BEGINNING - see chapter  one if confused

"It can't go on like this Alex, it's been months since the funeral and she's still not, well, sober."

Lara, Alex and Jamie sat together in the kitchen on a sunny afternoon, Danny was passed out on the couch.

"She's ok, she's getting better." Alex knew better was probably an overstatement but said it anyway.

"Maria's not going to put up with this."

"Well Maria doesn't bloody have to if she doesn't want to! I'm looking after our friend. Are you gonna do it? No, didn't think so."

"Do you think it's worth trying to get hold of Rachel?" Jamie asked tentatively

"Why would I? This hasn't got anything to do with her. Danny is grieving."

"Danny hasn't been the same since Rachel left, Alice passing is another thing she's dealing with yes, but do you not think Rachel might be the root cause here?"

"No I doubt it. I think she feels like she has no one and everyone she cares about just leaves her."

"Apart from you?" Lara asked, she watched Alex shrug and she had to walk away, Alex was so blindsided by her obsession with Danny she was unable to see what would actually help her.

Yesterday Lara had walked into the kitchen and saw them fucking against the wall. They had both looked completely surprised, Danny just pulled away, grabbed her bag and the open bottle of Jack that's become her favourite accessory, walked into her room and slammed the door. Lara had tried to talk to Alex about it but she just kept brushing her off. Jamie was no help at all, it's like he wanted to be there for the fun stuff but as soon as shit got real he scarpered.

Lara had walked out the house and down the road, only escaping her thoughts as she smelt the familiar smell of stale alcohol and realised where she was and how far she'd walked. She went up to the bar and made eye contact with Steph who was chatting with one of the regulars.

"Hey, you've missed Danny, Alex took her home." She explained, positioning herself opposite the customer.

"I know. I've just escaped. Can you make me something really strong please." Lara played with her bank card between her fingers as she waited for her beverage.

"She's been a bit of a handful I hear."

She mixed Lara's drink without measuring any of the spirits, resulting in an odd purple concoction.

"Well we all expected it, even you said it at the funeral. This week though, she's really excelled herself. How are you doing anyway?"

"Yeah, not too bad. Still find it quite hard going into the flat but I'm getting there, one day at a time. It was pretty horrendous, I'm still having flashbacks of her bleeding." She passed her the drink but refused to take any money for it.

"Jeez, I'm sorry, if there's anything I can do."

"Yeah, you can sort Danny out for me. I don't have the energy but I need her to be ok."

"We've all tried, honestly."

"Some more than others." Steph raised her eyebrows as she placed the clean glasses back on the shelf.

"You know about Alex and Danny?"

"Alex couldn't help but make it pretty obvious in here the other day, it was quite comical to be honest. Have any of you heard from Rachel?"

"No, the only people that have her number is Danny and Alex."

"So Danny hasn't called her?"

"No not that I know of, it's probably the last thing she'd do. Why?