The Secrets We Keep

SEPTEMBER 3, 1971

"First years, up and at 'em! Common room, hurry up!"

Sirius jolted awake and nearly flew out of his bed. The edges of his nightmare receded a little, the tendrils still tight around his throat, but when he blinked, he was in the Gryffindor dormitory, not Grimmauld Place. He collapsed back on his pillow and let out a long breath of relief.

James and Sirius had gotten back late from detention, despite their best intentions of finishing early. Both boys had been so exhausted they'd just collapsed on their beds, not bothering with any homework. Sirius had tossed and turned all night, but he'd finally managed to properly sleep.

That is, until, Frank Longbottom barged into their dorms and started screaming like a mad idiot. "Get your arses out of bed! First year common room meeting, now!"

Morning person or no, Sirius Black did not appreciate waking up at—he waved his hand and cast a time charm—Merlin, half-six-bloody-A.M. to shouting. Sirius let out a long breath. It'd been ages since he slept in that long.

He rolled over and yanked back his hangings. Frank Longbottom stood in the doorway, clearly quite prepared to begin another round of yelling.

Sirius threw his legs over the side of the bed and pushed his hair out of his face. "What's going on, Longbottom?" he asked.

Frank scowled at him. "First years need a lecture on discipline. Common room. Now, the lot of you."

James and Peter stared at Frank, bleary-eyed and confused. James's hair stood up in every fathomable direction and he squinted at the scene in front of him, not seeming to remember that he needed his glasses to see it properly. Peter smacked his lips a few times and raised his eyebrows halfway up his forehead to compensate for his droopy eyes, but he stood and stretched and shook the sleep away. Remus, on the other hand, was still sleeping soundly on his bed next to Sirius's. The hangings were open and Remus let out a soft snore, completely oblivious to the commotion around him.

When none of them moved, Frank flicked his wand and a loud screech came from it. Sirius covered his ears. James and Peter both jumped to their feet. Remus kept on snoring.

"I won't say it again!" Frank shouted.

"Alright, alright, we're coming!" James screamed back, over the noise.

Frank eyed Remus's sleeping form. "Everyone downstairs now."

"We'll handle it," Sirius growled.

Frank glared at him for a second, then flicked his wand. The shrieking stopped. Frank turned on his heel, leaving the three boys to wake their friend.

James, Peter, and Sirius surrounded Remus's bed. Remus was on his back, his mouth open, with one arm slung over his eyes, completely dead to the world.

Peter scrubbed the sand from his eyes and leaned over the bed a bit. "Is he... Is he dead?"

"Yes, Pete," Sirius said, rolling his eyes. "That's why he's snoring so loudly."

"How do we wake him up?" James asked.

"Do we pour water on him?" Peter suggested.

Sirius shrugged. "Sure, go ahead. And when he wakes up and craves vengeance, I'll be sure to point him in your direction."

Peter gulped and promptly shut up.

"Do you have any suggestions, Sirius?" James asked, flicking his wand at his nightstand. His glasses levitated over to him and James situated them on his face.