Charlie

Chapter 7

When I leave the bedroom, everyone is gathered in the kitchen. They all quiet once I enter the room, dropping their conversations to look at me.

It reminds me of the anniversary.

Albeit, this time Elizabeth, Frank, and Alison are gone. Blaize is antsy in her seat, which makes me sad. I dragged all those girls to Neverland, to suffer with me. I think, since they were only there for a short few months, it is fair if they flee. For the rest of us, that isn't quite an option.

Jared is the first to come up to me. He pulls me into a tight hug, then takes my backpack off.

"What's going on?" I ask, as he walks away with it.

"Johnny made you soup," he shrugs, a smile on his face. I watch as Jared tightens the thermos on the counter, before quickly tucking it into my backpack. Along with it, he packs a container of crackers, and another filled with vegetables.

I turn to Johnny, pulling the boy into a hug. Max joins us in the middle. Quickly, I kiss the baby's cheek. Johnny stifles a laugh. "If you want him, you'll have to kill me first."

I laugh back, letting a hand delicately caress the back of Max's head. He has Peter's beautiful eyes, but my dark hair. The boy beams up at me, reaching for my face. I let him grab my nose with his tiny hands, before pulling back.

Harry practically jumps on me, hugging me tightly. I roll my eyes over his shoulder, looking at Alex. Once Harry relinquishes, Alex moves up to me. He takes my hand, shaking it but then holding on. I wait for him to let go, but he doesn't.

"We got an envelope with cash," Blaize tells me, looking down at the ground. "It'll be enough for a bus ticket and at least one fake. I reckon that'll get the buyer's attention."

I smile to her, but she still can't meet my eyes. With the couple hundred dollars I still have left from my step-dad, I'll be able to eat while I'm gone.

"I'll text you the plan," I tell Alex. "Okay?"

He finally let's go. "Okay."

I take my backpack from Jared and head out the apartment. I catch the city bus, making my way to a terminal. Once I'm there, I pay a man who doesn't meet my eyes for a bus ticket. He probably thinks I'm a run away, but at least he is kind enough to say nothing. Perhaps he can tell from my weathered face that I am older than I look.

I give my ticket to the bus driver when I board, and then put my baggage into the overhead compartment. There is mist in the May air as we drive out of town. We end up on a long and winding road, driving through forests. The trees are a light green, and while the colour is familiar, the hue is different.

Green is my favourite colour, and my time at Neverland has both made me question that and solidify my choice. Green is the colour of calm, of the forest, but also of the secrets which we left on that island. It is the opposite of blood, and of anger, and of all the mistakes we have forgiven.

I lean against the cold glass, driving off into the unknown.

This time, I let myself fall asleep.

I'm surprised when I find myself back in the black space. Peter is there too, staring at me. I would have thought his last message was the last I would receive. He stares at me blankly, waiting for me to speak.

"What message this time?" I ask.

He shakes his head back and forth. There are tears brimming the corners of his eyes. This time, I reach forward to hold his hand. He stares at me, confusion in his brows.

"It's okay," my voice is a breath of fresh air in this dark space. He stops shaking his head, his eyes meeting mine. They are darker than they've ever been, but they are real. He is alive with me, even if only for a few more minutes.

Peter squeezes my hand back. "Goodbye."

~~~

Okay, I've got one more epilogue to write. Then, we be done people! Thank you all for sticking around this story through thick and thin. I hoped you loved it as much as I have. Your support from the beginning has been more than anything. A special thank you to fionnwhitehead and TheNeverlandStar   for supporting me always. 

I'll see you in the last chapter? Where do you think Charlie has decided to go?