17. Invisibility (Pt. 2) Responsibility

What Mirio didn't know, was that you were still shocked by the horrors you'd seen. You were a young hero, clearly you hadn't seen everything, but you'd thought you'd seen enough to not be shocked anymore. You wouldn't darken his bright mind, he didn't need to know every detail of your otherwise successful mission.

After killing the madam, you rushed to the final stop, rather the first stop on the distribution line. You knew enough about the guards that you knocked them out quickly. You needed to get this over with fast, you couldn't imagine this going on any longer. The coastal warehouse had its own docks, and you intended on destroying it all. Blowing up one car to stop a deranged villain had made it obvious that sometimes extrajudicial violence was the only option. The big, grey warehouse looked like the birthplace of mildew, and appeared to be abandoned. It was all an act, you knew it was occupied.

Mirio stopped to help a little girl get her kite out of the tree, she was giggling and smiling. She was one of the civilians you swore to protect, just like everyone else in Japan. You'd guard her safety and happiness until your body stopped working. Mirio was such a joy, you knew he'd be just as successful as Toshi, the two of them put everyone at ease.

Entering your invisible world, you made the guards disappear, you hid your exit strategy beautifully, and began to infiltrate the decrepit building. Luckily for you, one of the windows was missing a pane on the second level, you scaled the wall silently, using pure willpower to move yourself up the wall. Slinking through the window, despite being invisible, you crouched low, like a cat on all fours, ready to pounce. What you saw before you made you wish you had a destructive quirk.

"NightSprite! Look at this!!" Mirio pulled you from your thoughts. He'd gotten a hold of your hand and was pulling you towards the electronics shop, the remains of a smoldering beachside warehouse streamed on each television in the display. You sighed, allowing yourself to be pulled behind the young boy. "Holy shit, NightSprite.... it says it took 15 different heroes to put out the fire, and three fire trucks. I wonder what caused the fire?" He looked so pure and innocent, you couldn't tell him that you had happened to the warehouse.

Immediately you saw young girls, ages 8-14, they were wearing thin white tank tops and short white shorts. It was close to being in their undergarments, but not quite. It was to prevent any girl from either using their quirk, stealing a weapon, and it made them stand out against the dark surroundings. Other than the seven guards you incapacitated and silenced outside, there were twenty-five others within the warehouse. You couldn't just blow the place up with innocents. From your vantage point, you counted 30 young girls. You'd evacuate them all.

"It appears that it was an explosion assisted by the high prevalence of heavy artillery in the warehouse. That's all for now, back to you at the station." You came back to the current time, Mirio's face was plastered to the glass, along with other community members.

"C'mon, Lemillion, we've got a lot of ground to cover, let's get on it." He reluctantly pulled himself from the glass, but put his smile right back on and the two of you continued your patrol. The two of you had 3 more hours, if everything stayed peaceful.

"Y/N, why did you become a hero?" The blond asked you suddenly. It was a valid question. Your quirk wasn't offensive, it was more useful for recon and intelligence. But here you were, a Japanese Pro-Hero, fighting crime, saving children, and mentoring young heroes.

"Well Mirio, that's a great question. I'll turn it on you, why do you want to be a hero?" You listened to his enthusiasm as he talked about saving a million civilians. He was the next Symbol of Peace. You smiled at his vigor, what a great, young man. He finished talking and turned to you, "so what about you?" He asked. You sighed, you wouldn't escape his prodding, you could've lied to him, but that wouldn't have been heroic.

"I want to pull the invisible people in our society into the light, show them we see them and care about them. Protect those who are told they're worthless. My invisibility will bring light to those in darkness, either exposing them or saving them." You smiled at the end. He looked awe-inspired by your tale. He knew nothing of your past, missions, anything. This confession was a mere hero origin story, but it was more than that to you. It was your life blood.

You'd made 15 of the 30 girls invisible and snuck them into a "safe zone" this was possible because you'd lit a small to medium sized fire by the front entrance, and a majority of the guards had rushed to prevent the flames from reaching the ammunition. You'd incapacitated the remaining, diligent thugs. 15 girls huddled in the corner, invisible and terrified. You sprinted to the other girls, projecting your quirk onto them, they finally saw you and their friends and followed silently behind you. Once all of you were together, you wrapped your capture scarves around them all. You smiled internally, you were like a spider, capturing these wraithlike girls and rescuing them in your "webbed" bags. You were depressed that each bundle of 10 girls was so light, but also thankful. You carried each bundle out one at a time. Outside the warehouse, you commandeered a truck, unwrapping the girls  and speeding off towards the mission HQ... as you drove away, you grinned as you heard chaos, and explosions escape the warehouse. You'd lit multiple fires, but only one had been visible, it sounded like the furthest fire you'd lit had finally reached some sort of gunpowder.

It sounded like victory to you.

The patrol has ended hours ago, you were finally home and curled up in a blanket. What could you do now? You were potentially off tomorrow, depending on Sā's thoughts on your report. Your phone buzzed, you looked down.

Aizawa- You up?
Y/N - duh.
Aizawa - Im coming over. Mic has very loud people over and I need to escape.
Y/N- copy that, door will be unlocked for you.

You smiled, you hadn't seen your good friend in two weeks. It would be nice to catch up. Your phone buzzed again, you looked down.

Enji- nice work on your mission. Let me know if you ever want to ride a real hero.
You froze. Excuse him? 5 minutes passed.
Enji- fuck. Sorry. Big hands. Ride with a real hero* you know the offer still stands. You've got a position here if you want.
You didn't respond. What a fucking idiot.
Enji- well... goodnight then. Let's catch up soon.

You exhaled. Your life had to be some sort of joke, maybe a sitcom and you couldn't hear the laugh track... you smiled as you stood up to brew two cups of tea for you and Aizawa.

At this point, you weren't sure if you'd have it any other way, it was your responsibility.