Prologue

Two years ago

Two years ago. . .

The metallic taste hitting her tongue was enough to make the girl grit her teeth and spit a mixture of blood and saliva out of her mouth and onto the floor. Her cheek was throbbing with pain, but she didn't let it show, only biting her tongue to stop herself from making a noise while her hands balled into fists behind her back where they were currently tied to the chair she was sitting in.

Anne Lancaster looked up at the Hydra soldier that had just punched her and glared at him before spitting some of the blood and saliva in his face. The man scowled and quickly wiped it away before punching the girl in the face again, this time earning a small grunt from her mouth.

There was the faint sound of metal moving before the door to the small dark room they were in opened up to reveal the man who had greeted Anne when she first woke up. He had never given her his name, but Anne didn't care enough to want to know. Knowing what his ugly face looked like was enough for her.

"Has she spoken yet?" the scientist asked, looking to the soldier who was wiping away Anne's blood from his hands. The soldier looked up and scowled at the girl before saying, "No, not yet. She's a stubborn one, I'll give her that."

The scientist looked to Anne and seemed to study her for a moment before he clicked his tongue and shook his head slightly. "Anne. Anne. Anne. Why not just give us the information we want? It will be better for both sides if you just tell us," the man told her.

"Why would I tell you anything? All you want to do is make more super soldiers like me, so why would I help you do that?" Anne asked.

"Because we are not the bad guys," the scientist replied simply. Anne snorted sarcastically before muttering, "I beg to differ."

The scientist frowned and had to turn away to collect his thoughts. While he did this, Anne smirked softly to herself. With her not telling them the information that they wanted and their brainwashing technology not working on her for some reason, Anne had the upper hand and this was making Hydra more frustrated by the second.

The man suddenly stood up straight and Anne prepared herself for more questioning, but the scientist didn't even glance at her as he looked to the soldier in the room and said, "Bring him in."

The soldier nodded before leaving the room while Anne furrowed her eyebrows. Bring who in?

"There are other ways to get the information we need out of you, Anne," the scientist told her as he finally turned to look at her. "I really wish you had just cooperated in the first place. I didn't want to have to do this."

"Do what?" Anne asked, but the man didn't answer for the door of the room was opening up once again. The soldier from earlier walked in, but this time he had a new person walking behind him.