Preface

"Karasuno? Do they even have a volleyball team?"

You heard one of the first years ask the coach as you were dribbling one of the balls on the ground. As you lightly kicked the ball with the inside of your right foot you heard a loud gasp and footsteps approaching you.

"y/n-chan! The doctor said you can't overexert yourself!"

You turned to face your friend and smiled with a small head tilt to mock the volleyball captain's usual expression.

"Don't worry Toru, my leg feels fine now!"

He groaned and called out for Iwaizumi.

"Iwa-chan! y/n is being bad!"

As you continued to kick the balls into the cart you suddenly felt a ball fly into the back of your head.

"Idiot! You're going to make your injury worse!"

You grabbed the back of your head and glared at him.

"Iwaizumi! If you were going to be mean to me why did you ask me to be the manager?"

The captain wrapped an arm around the vice captain's shoulder and grinned widely.

"Iwa-chan and I thought it would stop you from training and help you recover faster!"

You sighed in defeat and crossed your arms in annoyance. Before you could spit out a smart remark Kindaichi interrupted you.

"Captain, why are we practicing with Karasuno? We usually play against college students for practice matches."

"My old kouhai is the official setter on the team and I want to see if he got any better."

For a split second you could see a change in demeanor emanating from the setter. Toru's usual easy-going nature shifted, and you could feel the bitterness dripping from his tone. Your eyes shifted from Toru to Hajime and he nodded in understanding.

You both sprung into action and punched him in the stomach (maybe a little harder than you should have).

"Shittykawa! Don't use the team's training sessions as your own playtime," you both yelled in unison.

Both you and Hajime meant every word spoken but there was more than you both let on. Only the two of you understood Oikawa's inner struggles to overcome his adversaries, the worst one being his own insecurities as a player. Despite being one of the best players on the high school level, you knew he constantly compared himself with players who had better instincts and innate skills than him.

He feigned sadness and he pointed at the two of you.

"You guys are mean!"

You shook your head and continued to collect the balls off the ground. Toru was a handful, but he was one of your best friends. He was always loyal and willing to tell you the hard truth which you always appreciated. The same went with Hajime. You were grateful for their support and in order to show your appreciation you agreed to become the volleyball team's temporary manager. Originally, you never had time to help your best friends out because you had your own duties as the girls' soccer team's captain. But a recent injury had left you on the bench and instead of bringing the rest of the team down, you thought it would be better to sit out this season and allow them to grow as a team without you. Every now and then you attended practice, but for the most part you were with the volleyball team helping them train. It might've been a stupid decision to take off, but you had received a solid offer to play for Tokyo University girls' soccer team and you decided to recover with no hiccups before playing in the college league.

When you finished collecting all of the balls you started wheeling the cart into the equipment room. You made a few last-minute adjustments in the equipment room and started jogging towards your friends to go change.

While walking towards the club rooms you clapped a hand on Toru's shoulder and gave him a big smile.

He looked at you expectantly and all you said was, "Kageyama-kun has probably surpassed you Toru!"

He made a horrified expression and you could hear Hajime snort in the background along with the rest of the team.