On Stable Ground - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Several weeks after Nana’s stroke, all the crops had been brought in and were already off to market. Tanner, Julie and Charlie were happy this huge job was completed. They all worked well together. Charlie had always considered Julie his right hand man. And now he considered Tanner his left. Charlie would not even have to say directions anymore to Tanner, it was like they were all on the same brainwaves and knew what the other was thinking.

Tanner had been able to save up the most money he had ever had and by mid July had bought an old used truck. It wasn’t much, but it was his. He also had added new clothes to his closet in the barn and still had money to spare. He decided he wanted to save that for school supplies, senior year would be starting in a month.

This summer was far from what Tanner had thought it would be when he came to live on the farm. Julie and Charlie and even Nana had taken him in as one of the family. They did not hold his past against him. Actually, they helped him overcome his feelings of rejection and abandonment from his parents. He had found a place in the world on this farm. A place where he was useful and felt validated. He was going to miss it when he went to live in a foster home this school year.

The biggest surprise this summer was Julie. He had never been this close to anyone in his whole life. He trusted her more than he trusted himself at times. And, that is saying a lot from a person who grew up with only himself to trust.

If someone was to ask Tanner what he wanted at the end of summer? It would be not to leave. He had grown to love living on this farm and the Croft’s.

Today, Jewel would be coming home. She had stayed in the hospital for about a week after her stroke and then went to stay at a rehab facility for the past three weeks. The family, with help from the church’s Women’s Auxiliary were able to get all the shoe boxes off to the soldiers overseas.

Jewel wasn’t one-hundred percent yet, but she was improving daily. She wanted to be home with her family more than anything else. She missed cooking, and she desperately missed working in her garden.

Tonya and Jenny made sure the house was perfect before Nana came home. They did not want her to lift a finger. She had been working to regain the movement to her left hand and although she could grip things, she did not have the fine motor skills she use to have.

While Charlie, Jenny and Tonya went to pick up Jewel, Tanner and Julie worked on the farm. They needed to feed all the animals and get ready to take a large portion of the cattle to market the next week. Since Nana had been gone, they started packing a lunch and taking it in the field with them, or Julie coming back to get lunch and bring it out to them as they worked. Today, they brought it out, but Tanner suggested since they were close to the pond to go there for lunch. This was not unusual, they both liked the pond and it became a place that even if they were not planning on meeting, they would both end up there together.

They took their lunches and settled under the large oak tree. Conversation now was easy for both of them and they had no secrets. They were best friends.

Tanner looked down, rather bashful, “Julie?” he said taking a bite of his sandwich.

“Yeah,”

“I am going to miss this when I have to leave.” Tanner said still looking down.

“Yeah, I know.” She finished swallowing her bite of sandwich, “I mean this is a beautiful place and I can see how you would miss it.”

“No. I mean this.” And he waved his hand between the two of them.

“Yeah, me too.”

“I’ve never been this honest and open with anyone. Especially a girl.”

“Don’t say it like I’m cursed to be a girl.” Julie said and chuckled.

“Sorry.”

“I know what you mean. Me too. I mean with a boy.”

“You and your Dad and Nana are great. I’ll miss all of you.” Then he took another bite, he took his time chewing then said, “But, I’ll miss you the most.”

Julie began to blush. She could feel her cheeks get warm. She liked Tanner and wished things were different. She wished he wasn’t just there for the summer. She wished that his parents loved him, but if it wasn’t for his past circumstances, they would’ve never met. In another world, she would have been attracted to Tanner and would have wanted to go out with him. But, he would only be there for another month. Then what? Where would the state put him next?

“I’ll miss you too, Tanner. I wish you didn’t have to leave.” Julie reached over and touched Tanner’s hand, Tanner turned his palm over so their fingers were locked together and they held hands for a few minutes.

After lunch was finished, Tanner stood to go. He took his hands and offered them to Julie to help her up. As Julie stood up, Tanner pulled her close to him and put one hand in the small of her back, and the other one caressing the side of her face.

For her first kiss, it was very tender and everything a first kiss should be, Julie thought afterwards. Her second kiss was even better, maybe because she expected that one more than the first.

“I’m sorry,” Tanner said when they finally broke apart a few minutes later. “I shouldn’t have done that.”

“I’m glad you did.” Julie said smiling as she held his hand walking back to the horses.

“I’ve wanted to do that for so long. And I don’t know, I figured I should before I lost the nerve.”

Julie just grinned. As she mounted Jasmine, she said, “I’m glad you did not lose your nerve.” and she leaned over to give Tanner another kiss.

=============

A/N - This story does not end here, Julie and Tanner's story continues in Sowing Faith, Reaping Love and concludes in Peace in the Valley. I truly hope you enjoyed reading this story and will continue reading the short story trilogy. Anita