19

Leah had suffered through many Christmases alone. The first one she had after losing Jonah was one of the worst. It took a lot of alcohol and crying to get her through to January. She never wanted to face such a gloomy holiday ever again. But ever since their run-in, Tommy and Leah were quiet around each other. Both were too afraid to continue the conversation in fear it would really break them apart. They were trying to at least make it through New Years without arguing again. But the tension still lingered and the only person oblivious to it was Charlie.

Unbeknownst to her, Tommy was busy Christmas Eve morning. Things were heating up and his family was scattered about. A family divided was a vulnerable family and that was deadly. There was something unsettling in the air.

"It's getting late, love." Leah murmured. The little boy's eyes had begun to droop as his bedtime approached. They were sat by the fire to stay warm in the drafty house. The toddler was nodding off in her lap, the flames casting shadows over his angelic face.

"It's Christmas tomorrow!" Charlie exclaimed.

"I know, I wonder what Santa will bring you." She stroked his hair that was starting to lighten, as he got older. He retained certain features that looked like Tommy but he did look like Grace the more he grew.

"Charlie, got a job for you." Tommy walked into the big room with a plate. His son jumped up and hurried over. "We give these to Santa and Rudolph." He knelt down and handed the plate to Charlie to set out by the Christmas tree. Leah stood up, watching father and son interacting with a faint smile on her face. Tommy poured a glass and placed it by the tree as well. "Put this out for Santa, for his whiskey." He smiled and held his arms out. "Night-night, Merry Christmas." He hugged Charlie. "Go on upstairs with Leah, sleep well."

Leah reached out a hand for him to take. Her eyes lingered on Tommy for a brief moment before going upstairs to put Charlie to bed. 

~~~~~~~~

"Lee, you stay here, won't you?" Charlie asked as he snuggled under the quilts.

"You want me to stay in here for the night?" She tilted her head in confusion. It wasn't like the young boy to need someone to stay with him the night. He tended to be more independent like his father. "Why, poppet?"

"No, here. Here with daddy and me." He clutched his teddy bear close to his chest.

She sighed softly and touched his hand. "Of course, love. I wouldn't leave you." And she was speaking honestly. She had no plans to abandon him or Tommy. Not when they needed her the most and not when she loved them both so much. Deep down she knew she needed them both too.

"Okay." Charlie yawned.

"Now get some rest. Santa can't come 'less you're asleep." She kissed his forehead. "I love you very much."

"Love you too." He replied sleepily and his eyes slid closed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Leah returned back downstairs, she heard Tommy's sister in the study. She paused for a second, listening to their conversation without intending to be sneaky.

"If we stay out in the open, isolated, he'll pick us off one by one. We need to be together in a place even they won't dare to come." Tommy's voice was firm and low as an authority figure.

Ada laughed in disbelief. "You mean back home?"

"Within a four-mile radius of the Garrison, every man is a guard and a soldier for us."