eighteen ; back in time

Start from the beginning

There was a pause.

I frowned, and lifted my head from my pillow, glancing around. I saw the hospital wing door that was still slightly ajar, Ron asleep a ways away, Hermione's petrified face to my right, and then Harry, who finally had his eyes open, and was looking at me. I slowly lifted a finger to my lips and then pointed to the door.

Madam Pomfrey now came walking briskly up the dark ward to Harry's bed. She was carrying the largest block of chocolate I had ever seen. It looked like a small boulder.

"Ah, you're awake," she said briskly. She placed the chocolate on the bedside table between mine and Harry's beds and began breaking it apart with a small hammer.

"How's Ron?" Harry, Hermione and I asked together.

"He'll live," Madam Pomfrey said grimly. "As for you three . . . you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied you're — Potter, what do you think you're doing?"

Harry was sitting up, putting his glasses back on and picking up his wand.

"I need to see the Headmaster," he said.

"Potter," Madam Pomfrey said soothingly, "it's all right. They've got Black. He's locked away upstairs. The Dementors will be performing the Kiss any moment now —"

"WHAT?"

Harry, Hermione and I all jumped out of our beds. But Harry's shout had been heard in the corridor outside, and next second, Cornelius Fudge and Snape had entered the ward.

"Harry, Harry, what's this?" Fudge said, looking agitated. "You should be in bed — has he had any chocolate?" he asked Madam Pomfrey anxiously.

"Minister, listen!" Harry said. "Sirius Black's innocent! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death! We saw him tonight! You can't let the Dementors do that thing to Sirius, he's —"

But Fudge was shaking his head with a small smile on his face.

"Harry, Harry, you're confused, you've been through a dreadful ordeal, lie back down, now, we've got everything under control . . ."

"YOU HAVEN'T!" Harry yelled. "YOU'VE GOT THE WRONG MAN!"

"Minister, listen, please," Hermione said; she had hurried to Harry's side and was gazing imploringly into Fudges face. I quickly followed her. "Rory and I saw him, too. It was Ron's rat, he's an Animagus, Pettigrew, I mean, and —"

"You see, Minister?" Snape said. "Confunded, all three of them . . . Black's done a very good job on them . . ."

"Would you just butt out?" I said haughtily, at the same time Harry roared, "WE'RE NOT CONFUNDED!"

"Minister! Professor!" Madam Pomfrey said angrily. "I must insist that you leave. Potter is my patient, and he should not be distressed!"

"I'm not distressed, I'm trying to tell them what happened!" Harry said furiously. "If they'd just listen —"

But Madam Pomfrey suddenly stuffed a large chunk of chocolate into Harry's mouth. He choked, and she seized the opportunity to force him back onto the bed.

"Now, please, Minister, these children need care. Please leave —"

The door opened again. It was Dumbledore.

"Professor Dumbledore," I said quickly, "Sirius Black —"

"For heaven's sake!" Madam Pomfrey said hysterically. "Is this a hospital wing or not? Headmaster, I must insist —"

"My apologies, Poppy, but I need a word with Mr Potter, Miss Areli and Miss Granger," Dumbledore said calmly. "I have just been talking to Sirius Black —"