What Could Have Been

Start from the beginning

"I know, but you were dead. And his name was Dave." Klaus got a look in his eyes that led me to believe he was far away from the attic he was being tied up in. "We soldiered together in the A Shau Valley, in the Mountain of the Crouching Beast."

"Well Dave must have been a very special person to put up with all your weird-ass shit." Klaus laughed at Diego's attempt at a comforting comment as I finished winding the rope around and through the chair legs.

"Yeah. Yeah, he was kind, and strong, and vulnerable, and... beautiful." I sat back on my heels and watched as Klaus described his love. "And I was foolish enough to follow him all the way to the front line."

"Wait, you fought? Like, in a war?" I asked, confused. When the hell had he had time to do that?

"Oh yeah, baby."

"How'd they let you do that?" Diego asked.

"Let me? War couldn't take enough bodies. Please." He chuckled, then his smirk fell. "Including his."

"Klaus..." I whispered, staring at the man who was even more broken than I thought.

"Hey, look at us. Loggin' in some quality sibling time before the end of the world." He had a sad smile on his face as I moved around him to tie off the bindings.

"Yeah, might as well. Everyone I like is dead," Diego said, standing to help me.

"The lady cop, huh?" Klaus asked.

"And Mom. I let them both down, along with you two idiots." He took the rope from me and tied off some fancy knot. We stayed where we were for a moment, then I decided we'd better get going.

"Alright, time to go kick some ass. Adios, mi hermano." I patted Klaus on the shoulder, and Diego followed me towards the stairs. Not even five seconds had gone by before I heard a groan.

"Ah shiiiit," Klaus exclaimed.

"What?" Diego and I spun to face him.

"I gotta pee."

"You've got to be kidding me."

~~~

"Alright, back to the chair." I picked up the rope from where I'd abandoned it, and began to tie one of Klaus' ankles to a chair leg.

"You know, no, I- I think, I think this was a bad idea," Klaus stuttered out, stepping out of the rope and away from the chair. I stood, shaking my head.

"What? No, Klaus you need to-" He cut me off before I could tell him to sit the hell back down.

"No, I should have had just one last hit to ease me into it, that's all I need." He brushed past me, moving towards the door.

"No no no, I don't think so." Diego moved in front of him, blocking him from leaving.

"No, that's not how it works!"

"Nope, sit down."

"Diego, hey just listen. Just listen." Klaus dove to the side, trying to make it around our brother, but Diego was faster, punching him in the gut. He doubled over, groaning as Diego guided him to the chair.

"Sit your ass down." I winced as Klaus coughed, drawing ragged breaths. "Viv, rope."

I moved to the rope, and quickly wound it around Klaus' wrists several times, then moved around him to attach him to the chair.

"Damn it!" Klaus yanked his wrists to the side, almost sending me to the floor. "Stop it!"

"You need to get sober if you want to talk to Dave." I pulled the rope tighter, and Klaus began pleading with Diego.

"Please, stop her. Diego, stop her!"

"Nope."

"Damnit, Viv, get off me!" He moved the chair around, trying to jerk free, and Diego quickly moved to help, holding Klaus in a chokehold to keep him still. "Get off me!"

I continued to wrap him up, letting out a shaky sigh as I began to tie his legs down.

"Viv, listen, listen. Listen to me! I can talk to him, conjure him for you."

"Shut up, Klaus."

"No, he's right there, he wants you to-"

"Don't tell me lies, Klaus. He wants you sober as much as I do, I don't need him talking to me to know that," I muttered, continuing to work.

"No, he-" I shoved the rope in Diego's hands and left the room, hurrying down the stairs. I was going to explode at my brother if I stayed with him any longer, and I didn't want to. I would be saying the same things in his position, but that didn't mean it hurt me even less to have Ben used against me.

A few minutes later, Diego came storming down the staircase, and I silently followed him to the front room and out of the door.

"Where do you want to start looking for them?" I asked quietly, not wanting to anger him further.

"I... I don't know right now." We reached the car, and got in.

"How about we go to yours? Al has punching bags galore, you can blow off a little steam and we can think of a plan."

"Yeah, sure." He started the car, and pulled out from the alleyway onto the road. I glanced at him, deciding he most likely wouldn't yell at me if I said something, then spoke.

"Look, Diego, Klaus... Klaus didn't mean to-"

"I know, I know. That still doesn't mean-"

"It was right of him to do that. But we gotta cut him a little slack."

We sat in silence for a few moments before he spoke up.

"When Patch... when she died, was it quick?"

I sucked in a breath, then exhaled.

"I, I think so. She didn't seem to... to be moving when everything went dark for me." He nodded, rubbing his neck as he turned a corner.

"Look, I'm sorry. For not getting there quicker, for not realising sooner. You and Klaus got hurt, and I'm sorry I didn't stop it." I shook my head, smiling slightly.

"Not everything bad that happens to us is your fault, Diego. You're not the one who hurt us, who killed Patch. That was Hazel and Cha-Cha."

"Yeah, okay."

Before I had time to assure him that he wasn't to blame, the world flashed white.