Chapter 1

I wrote this entire story while I was sleep-deprived on vacation, living off nothing but caffeine. Enjoy.

3rd person view

Dazai Osamu hummed as he walked the streets of Yokohama. He recently got a new member to join the Armed Detective Agency, and he had some plans in mind.

Dazai chuckled to himself and kept walking. His eyes widened when he caught a glimpse of (h/c) hair swaying in the wind, way up ahead in the mass of people. Dazai quickened his pace to catch up to the girl he thought he saw. He maneuvered through the crowd with a grimace.

It couldn't be her. It was impossible.

Dazai's eyes proved him wrong when he almost bumped into the girl. He abruptly came to a halt and stared down into a pair of reddish brown eyes just like his own. The eyes of his little sister.

He grabbed her wrist and she effectively twisted his arm behind his back, her eyes void of any sign of emotion or recognition.

"Easy", Dazai murmured. "I mean you no harm."

The girl let him go and took a step back, looking up at the older male. Dazai furrowed his brows and inspected her up and down. She seemed the same, but it was impossible that she was alive. 

To be absolutely sure, Dazai reached out to brush the girl's hair behind her ear. She harshly grabbed his wrist again, her eyes boring into his. Dazai grimaced.

"I'm not going to hurt you", he softly said. "I just want to check something."

The girl didn't let go, so Dazai used his free hand to reach into the pocket of his coat. In a split second there was a knife at his throat, his right hand still in the girl's grip. Their eyes met and Dazai reached into his pocket a little slower, trying to show the girl in front of him that he meant her no harm. He slowly pulled out a lollipop. The girl stared at him for a second before taking a step back and putting her knife away. Then she took the lollipop, still not showing any emotion. This worried Dazai more than the fact that she didn't recognize him, but he had something else to check.

The brunette slowly reached forward again, locking eyes with the shorter girl. Her chocolate brown pools didn't show any hostility or any other sign of action when Dazai brushed her hair behind her left ear. He leaned down a little and his breath hitched.

It was there. Behind her left ear was a scar.

Dazai remembered how she got it all too well. When they were very young he had pushed her a little too hard, making her fall on the ground and hit her head on a rock. Thankfully she didn't receive any permanent damage other than the scar, but it was still an eye-opener for Dazai. His little sister was fragile, and she always would be.

Dazai sighed as he returned to the present, returning the girl's hair to the way it was. He looked into her eyes and gestured for her to follow him. To his surprise she obliged without any sign of retaliation. She followed him like a zombie, even when he got into a cab and even when he later got out of it at the Armed Detective Agency's office.

Dazai looked over his shoulder as he walked up the stairs. The girl trailed after him like it was her duty, not seeming to care for her surroundings. She wasn't even looking where she was going or placing her feet, she just blankly stared ahead.

Dazai furrowed his brows and looked back ahead. He approached the door to the ADA office and opened it. When he walked inside the girl followed again.

"Dazai!", Kunikida immediately sneered. "Where have you been?"