Chapter Four

*Next morning*

Ruby and Happy were entangled in each other's embrace from a night of getting reacquainted. Though it had been a couple years since last seeing each other the two connected as though no time had passed. The two had known each other for at least ten years roughly, first meeting when Abel Teller had gotten out of the hospital. Ruby and Happy at first became best friends, which made sense to no one around them, didn't make sense to them most days. What really had thrown people through a loop was when Happy slowly stopped going to crow eaters, and would stay with Ruby on her nights off. Although she never got his crow, Ruby had essentially became Happy's old lady and everyone knew it. When Jax had died and Wendy took the kids, Ruby decided it was time to move on. Even after leaving though her and Happy still were friends and normally when they would reconnect every so often so this was just like old times.

Slowly opening her eyes Ruby was met with a sleeping Happy, soft snores echoing through the room. Quietly de-tangling herself she finally got up without waking the sleeping bear and headed for the shower. By the time Ruby had finished Happy was awake and sitting up in bed watching his friend come out in a towel.

"You attract a type little girl."

"Good morning to you to Mr. Lowman." Ruby sasses back.

Smirking and shaking his head Happy heads to the bathroom while Ruby got dressed.

When he reentered the room, Ruby was dressed and working on her makeup. "Happy, what did you mean when you said I 'attract a type?'" looking up from applying her foundation.

"I mean you attract the quiet but deadly men. That guy with the braids, he did not want you leaving with me." Happy explained.

"Nestor was just doing his job that's all." feeling slight butterflies in her stomach even though she knows there's nothing there.

"Little girl, you can not be that oblivious to the way that man looks at you. I have met him officially once, but when I watched the way you two interacted at the nursing home. That man has it bad for you."

"Whatever you say Lowman. So are we going back to Charming?" Ruby asked trying to change the subject smoothly to hide her blushing.

"I have some business to take care of down here with the Mayans so we are staying till that is over. Called the guys back home and told them you might be coming back with me this week and they all said they missed you."

"I've missed them too. It's just hard to go back, all the memories, all the family lost. Y'all became my whole life and I had to watch it get torn apart."

"What makes this family you're with now any different? They are a fucking cartel little girl. They are worse than us! What makes them so much better that you're avoiding coming home!?" Happy demanded, knowing she was with them made her being gone more difficult.

Ruby stood up suddenly with her face almost as red as her hair, she knew Happy and knew his heart behind what was said but it still infuriated her that he had the balls to say such statements to her.

"THEY DON'T LET THEIR SHIT TOUCH FAMILY! This is the first time something like this has happened in the year of working with them!" Ruby raised her voice at the man in front of her before continuing, "I wasn't even there a year before Abel was taken and someone killed! Yes they are dangerous, I'm not an idiot Happy. It's just different there." she whispered the last part.

"I'm sorry we couldn't keep the chaos from touching you all, I'm sorry you didn't feel safe enough to stay even after everything with Jax settled. Little girl being here with them though, is it really a better option?" Happy questioned trying to keep a level head after Ruby's outburst. It was a rare occasion for her to have such outburst and they normally occurred when she had been bottling all her emotions inside.

"It's not that being with them is better, I miss you all dearly, truly. Just I can't stay in Charming, too many ghosts." Ruby explained.

Exhaling through his nose trying to calm himself down, Happy responded with a rasp. "You don't have to stay but once this business with the Mayans is taken care of you at least need to come home till this cartel bullshit blows over. Promised braids to keep you safe."

Instead of responding Ruby gave a sigh and just began to pack up her belongings. Even though their re-connections were blissful, they were also stressful due to them always having the same conversation about the cartel family. Though this go around was much different due to the present dangers knocking at the Galindo's door.