Chapter 3

Ever since that night, I never celebrated my birthday. It’s just impossible for me to even think about being happy when I know my family was murdered that very night. When I was in the system, my guardians would try to make me celebrate my birthday but I would never enjoy it. I would hide in my room and never come out until the day got over. 

When I was sixteen, I ran away because the family treated me like Cinderella. All they wanted me was to be some obedient slave and to clean the house, keeping it up to their standards. They never cared about me because I never spoke. I overheard them one night saying that I was a perfect slave because I never talked back like all the other ones had done before me. I really did feel like Cinderella at that point, so I ran away and never looked back. 

I hadn’t been with another family since then. I found a job, started working and saving for my own place. But before I was able to get it, I stayed in homeless shelters or snuck into stores that had beds so that I could sleep at night. It took me months of hiding. I had to keep moving from place to place when I wasn’t working, but I was eventually able to get my own place. It’s not that much but it’s home. The only place I really feel safe in. 

I don’t really have people over but when I do, it’s only for a short period of time. I’ve thought about trying to have a relationship but I always end up turning the idea down though. Who would want to date someone that doesn’t even talk? Who would want to even talk to someone with such a bad history anyways? Who would ever want to date someone who doesn’t celebrate their own birthday? I am never going to find the happiness that I always hoped to find. 

Over the years, whenever I’ve been walking home from school or working in the store, I would feel as if someone was watching and following me. I still get that feeling now and then but it doesn’t bother me anymore. At least not like it used to. I just assume it’s my mother coming to ruin my life, even in death. I was never on very good terms with my mother. She was always drunk and would always yell and scream at me for doing nothing but wanting her attention. She adored my brother. Probably because he was male and she has always enjoyed the company of males. 

One day, when I was walking home, I got that feeling I always get but it was stronger. I heard someone following me. I quickened my pace, thinking it was the kids that always beat me up. The footsteps quickened as well. Whoever is following me doesn’t want to lose sight that’s for sure. I started heading to the crowd of people crossing the street. Before I could cross the street the person who was following me grabbed me. I closed my eyes, preparing for the beating that was sure to follow. That’s when I heard a voice I never thought I would hear again. 

“It’s ok now. No one is ever going to hurt you ever again. I’m never leaving your side. Open your eyes your safe.” I do as he says and open my eyes and see him. My eyes light up and tears fill them. I hug him tightly not wanting to let go.