Chapter 33

Adina Mistolta stood on her balcony above ground, the flickering light of the torches outlining her body through her thin white robe. Her eyes travelled the length of the land as they did every night, as though other survivors might come stumbling from the darkness. She had searched long and wide, and fiercely protected the remaining few with her dwindling powers.

But it had never seemed like enough, and now, as she had gazed into her niece’s green eyes, knowing that one should be the colour of deepest night, she knew that her time had come. She felt no sadness at that. All of her grief had been spent a long time ago.

It was time to pay for what she had done and to take charge of the life she had created.

Hearing the door open and close gently, Adina smiled. She had waited a long time for this. Hurrying was not necessary.

She had all the time in the world.

As much as he would give her.

“Adina,” she heard him say her name. It fell on her ears like the sweetest honey. He did not say it harshly, nor passionately. But he had said it. That was all that mattered.

She breathed in deeply, taking count of her image. Her long hair was freed from any restraint, outlining her upper body as he had always preferred. She remembered every detail of their relationship, even if it had been so long ago.

Closing her eyes, she turned around. She wanted to smell him first. He approached her slowly and she raised her head, bathing in everything her senses could tell her before she could lose herself in the sight of him.

He still smelled as good as he always had, a sweet and masculine aroma that only a lover could truly learn to appreciate and crave. She had always imagined him as a wild creature, untamed except in her arms. His smell reminded her of it. The wildness.

He stood so close that she could hear his breath now. It was calm, as it had always been. The sound that had reassured her during so many sleepless nights. And the sound she had missed the most.

Lightning coursed through her body as he gently brushed the side of her face with the tips his fingers. Tears escaped her and he gently wiped them away, one by one. His coarse skin felt wonderful. So real. So warm.

Bringing up her own hand, she took his and kissed it. She could taste her own tears mingling with earth and sweat. He had always been so real to her. Her anchor in this wild, crazy world.

She fought to control her tears. She felt like a young, foolish maiden again, being courted by the most handsome man.

But that time had passed long ago.

Finally she opened her eyes, looking up at his. They were dark, as dark as the day she had first seen him. The day she had fallen in love with him so deeply that even her soul had cried out for him.

He was still beautiful. Older, with more scars and pain etched on his chiselled features, but those didn’t matter. He was still the most handsome man on Mirial. To Adina, her husband, Zortan Mistolta, would always be the most handsome man in the universe.

“Adina,” he repeated, more softly now. She knew he had expected the worst. It was simply the kind of man he was. But she still loved him, no matter what had happened.

It made her feel good to know that he still loved her, too. Even though he tried to hate her. She put her arms around him, her mouth reaching for his. He did not resist. She didn’t think he could have.

The bitter taste in her mouth was washed away with his honey. How she wished she could stay here, forever. Burn their past and fly towards the future, together.