NELSON

It's not like that.

DAVID VERDIN

Then what's it like? Please, enlighten me.

David puts a hand to his forehead.

DAVID VERDIN (CONT'D)

What am I talking about? I'm the one who ruined what I had with Claire. And then I did all those stupid interviews.

NELSON

She started it.

DAVID VERDIN

Please, that's not helping. I don't want to keep conducting myself like I'm twelve. I wish I'd never slept with Tessa.

He pulls Claire's ring out of his pocket and stops walking.

DAVID VERDIN

I know it was supposed to just be an act, but I can't stop thinking about her.

Nelson grabs David's shoulder.

NELSON

David, you didn't sleep with Tessa. That was just another camera trick. I thought you knew.

DAVID VERDIN

Knew what?

NELSON

That night you had your one-on-one date with Tessa, you were really drunk. You took off your microphone inside the suite, but you forgot to turn it off. We kept the audio file. If you snore for  eight hours when making love to a beautiful woman, then you slept with her. If not...

Nelson shrugs.

DAVID VERDIN

Tessa...she tricked me! I have to...I have to do something. I need to tell Claire, maybe on a reunion show? Could you set that up?

NELSON

I’m tempted, I won’t deny it, but if you really love this girl, you should do something now.

DAVID VERDIN

What about sticking with the plan, doing what’s safe?

NELSON

Forget I said that. Real life and great television are two different things, and one doesn’t always wait for the other.

INT. CLAIRE'S APARTMENT – DAY

Claire is lying on her futon couch in her studio apartment, CRYING. Around the futon couch are several boxes labeled “For Charity” in marker. She gets up and wipes her eyes. The time on her alarm clock reads 2:03PM. Claire heads to the bathroom.

INT. CLAIRE'S APARTMENT – BATHROOM – DAY

Claire flips the light on in the bathroom. She looks at herself in the mirror. Her eyes are red and puffy. She takes off her glasses and splashes some cold water on her face. When she turns off the water she sees the EYE CREAM JAR next to the sink. She dries her face, picks up the jar, opens it, and RUBS some cream on around her eyes. Claire puts her glasses back on and gives herself a “you're tough, you're strong” look in the mirror. She EXITS.

INT. TALK SHOW STUDIO #4 – ONSTAGE – DAY

David is well-dressed, shaven, and groomed. He sits down in a chair opposite the TALK SHOW HOST.