Claire is having dinner with INTERVIEWER 7.

INTERVIEWER 7
Do you think there's a chance you two might ever reconcile?

CLAIRE LE MAYES
No. He's too stubborn.

INTERVIEWER 7
What about you? How do you feel?

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Me? Do you need to ask? What about all the things I've been telling you?

INTERVIEWER 7
Well, sometimes love is about also loving someone's flaws.

Claire rubs her finger where she once wore her ring.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I don’t believe in that romance novel, romantic comedy mumbo-jumbo. No, we'll never get back together. Never.

EXT. EAST COAST CITY – DAY

Claire and Jesse walk down the sidewalk, Claire with a regular cup of coffee, and Jesse with a machoccino.

JESSE
How’ve you been? I was beginning to think I’d never see you again, lost to the wave of media attention.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I think I’m done with interviews. I have enough money to start my charity now, and I’m tired of seeing my face plastered everywhere.

A TEENAGED FAN passes them wearing a t-shirt with Claire’s face on it and the words “Team Claire”. She gives Claire a thumb’s up.

TEENAGED FAN
You were so wronged, girl! Stay strong!

Jesse and Claire both give her fake cheerful smiles, which fade as soon as she’s gone.

JESSE
Wow, I don't remember you getting this much attention since that racecar competition in high school. 

CUT TO:

INT. HIGH SCHOOL GYMNASIUM – DAY

A younger Claire, Jesse, and one other student crouch over their battery-powered racecars, deadly serious.  Jesse is wearing goggles. A TEACHER stands off to the side, speaking through a megaphone.

TEACHER
Only three cars left for the finals.  One...two...three...go!

Claire, Jesse, and the other student flip switches on their cars.  They zip across the gymnasium floor.  Claire's car crosses the finish line in first.  She gets up and pumps her fist into the air.

CLAIRE
Yessss!  I won!

This is when we see the stands, with only ten other science club students there.  They all launch to their feet and clap politely.  The sound echoes across the mostly empty gym.

CUT BACK TO:

EXT. EAST COAST CITY – DAY 

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I can always count on you to remember my prouder moments, Jesse.

They come upon a newsstand with Claire and David’s faces plastered on magazine covers. One magazine has Tessa’s face with the caption, “The Woman He Should Have Picked”. There’s even a National Enquirer with an obviously photoshopped picture on the cover of Claire with a hairy beast – “Claire Cheats on David with Bigfoot!” Jesse grabs Claire’s elbow and they stop walking.

JESSE
I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for the way things turned out. I know you told me it wasn’t real and the whole thing was a set-up, but it looked like he made you really happy. You just haven’t been the same since.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Jesse, I’m fine. Tessa and David are better suited for each other anyway. She’s nice, and an actress, and absolutely gorgeous.

JESSE
Well, you don’t know what goes on behind closed doors.

Claire gives him a LOOK.

JESSE
Sorry! It’s just a saying! Point is, you don’t know what Tessa is really like. Maybe she’s an evil bitch when you get to know her.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
She was nice to me.

JESSE
I don’t know. Girls are weird. 

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I’m not sure what you’re getting at with all this, but I don’t love David – in fact, I feel the opposite of love for him. 

JESSE
Whoa, ok. I’ve got two things to tell you, and I’m only saying them because I’m your friend. One – I didn’t mention love, you said that, not me. Two – the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference.

Jesse eyes the newsstand magazines.

JESSE (CONT’D)
Clearly, whatever you’re feeling for David, it’s not indifference.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Thanks for your concern, but I’ve got to go. I have to take some comic books over to the school board.

Claire turns to go.

JESSE
Claire, come on.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I’ll talk to you later. 

EXT. INNER CITY SCHOOL – DAY

Claire walks to the library of the school with a box in her arms. She enters.

INT. INNER CITY SCHOOL – LIBRARY – DAY

Ella is waiting for her inside.

ELLA
Good to see you, Claire. Let’s go to one of the study rooms.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Um, sure.

INT. INNER CITY SCHOOL – LIBRARY – STUDY ROOM – DAY

Claire sets the box of books on the table, and Ella gestures for her to sit down. Claire sits down.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
I’ve got a few different books in here, and several copies of each. I’ll bring more, but I’ve got to order in bulk.

ELLA
I know we talked about putting bookplates in the comics with your charity’s name.
(a beat)
I didn’t want to tell you this over the phone, but the school board doesn’t want to do that anymore. You’ve received a lot of negative press lately. The point is, they don’t think you’re an appropriate role model for the children.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Oh.

ELLA
I’m very sorry. You can still donate them anonymously.

CLAIRE LE MAYES
Of course.

She stands up.

CLAIRE LE MAYES (CONT’D)
Thanks, I’ll just...leave these here then.

Claire EXITS, her dignity in shreds.

-----

LOVE IN REALITY is a completed screenplay I wrote a while back.  I always wondered how much of a reality show is staged--including the messy breakups at the end.  I'll be posting updates every Tuesday and Friday.  Please click the star in the upper right to favorite if you enjoyed this! 

You can follow me on twitter @AndreaGStewart, find me on facebook, or visit my webpage at http://www.andreagstewart.com.  I have several projects in the works, and some of my pieces are available or will be available in various online or paper publications.

And feel free to drop me a line!  I love to talk shop!