Chapter 3 ~ Sanchez

Neal was standing at a bagel stand on a street just outside of the BQR Security building. He ordered a bagel with a poached egg, smoked salmon and avocado. When he payed the woman in the cart and took a bite from his bagel he turned to see Sara walking towards him. He quickly wiped his face to make himself look a bit more presentable however he missed some egg yoke on the corner of his lips and ending up smudging it more on his face.

"Caffrey," Sara says as she greets him.

Her eyes are drawn to his lips and Neal blushed just the slightest.

"Admiring what you see?" Neal says with a flirtatious smirk.

"Oh no, you just eh, kind of have something..." she points to the corresponding spot on her own lip.

"Oh uh eh.." he stumbles on his words as he quickly moves his hand his mouth to rub it off. He makes it worse for the second time.

Sara laughs and shakes her had. She withdraws a handkerchief from her clutch.

"Here let me help you, seeing as men are incapable of doing anything."

She has her thumb resting under the handkerchief and uses it to wipe the egg from his face. They made eye contact with each other for a split second then Sara pulled her hand away realizing the awkwardness.

"See Caffrey, not even able to keep yourself looking presentable at work, yet again proves my point of the incapability of men." Sara joked.

Neal touched his mouth again and wiped it a bit more before he said thanks.

"Just 2 more months Neal, 2 more months till this girl will be out of your hair and no longer annoying you." Neal whispered to no one in practicular.

"What was that." She asked with an inquisitive look.

"Oh nothing, nothing."

They then began to walk down the street towards the main entrance of the BQR Security building.

****

"Let's play a game. If you were to break in to this place and steal something from the managers office how would you do it." Sara asked Neal to pass the time.

They had been sitting in the reception of the building for the past half hour because no one was willing to answer their questions straight and the pair were getting rather bored.

"Come on Sara you know me, I'd never spill secrets like that to the opposite side."

"Surely you could at least tell me how you'd plan on getting into the building." she pleaded.

"Nope, no can do."

"Why so secretive all of a sudden, you talk about this stuff with Peter all the time and he's the FBI agent who could arrest you."

"Well you see I may have 'allegedly' broken in here before so spilling the beans might be me shooting myself in the foot." Neal replied with a chuckle.

"Seriously Caffrey! I mean is there anywhere in New York you haven't committed a crime."

"Trust me I wouldn't go to New Jersey even if the Crown Jewels were on display and I had special permission from the Queen herself to take them."

"Don't kid yourself Caffrey the only reason you're not leaving Manhattan is because of this cute, little bracelet around your ankle." Sara gestures to his foot.

Neal lifts up his foot so it's parallel to the seat he's sitting on and smiles.

"Ah yes." He says as he looks down to the anklet. "It is a fine piece of jewelry if I do say so myself."

Sara just laughs in response.

They continue sitting down and chatting away for another while until a young man in jeans and a blue shirt came to talk to them about the case. He looked to be in his late twenties or early thirties and was very handsome with sandy blond hair.

He approached Sara first and gives her his hand to shake.

"Hello you must be Ms Ellis, my name is Harvey Warren I believe we spoke on the phone."

He had a very stern grip as he shook Sara's hand. He kept eye contact with Sara while he shook her hand and the corner of his mouth raised slightly forming a smirk. Sara was unsure on whether he was just being professional or he was trying to assert dominance. Neal on the other hand was fully aware that the man in front of was setting the ground work for flirtatious behavior.

"Yes we're here to ask some questions about the robbery in the Griffith Gallery downtown."

"Yes yes of course, if you follow me to my office we can talk there," Harvey replied to them as he gestured with his hand for the pair to follow.

Harvey began to walk beside Sara and put his hand on the small of her back for a split second to guide her where to go. Neal couldn't help but notice the closeness between the two and felt quite awkward walking with them.

When they reached his office that had assistant manager written on the door Harvey sat down behind his desk with Sara sitting opposite him while Neal stood leaning against the wall examining the pictures.

Neal saw a diploma framed on the wall from Harvard medical school and wondered why he was working with a security company and hadn't perused a career in medicine.

Sara noticed Neal looked a bit distracted so decided to start asking questions.

"So Mr. Warren.."

"Please, please call me Harvey." He interrupted.

"We're here to enquire about the security cameras in the gallery and ask some questions regarding the maintenance of them."

Neal began listening and begins to talk.
"Firstly, we're wondering who was in contact with the gallery prior to the maintenance of the cameras and who's job was it to look for authorization."

"That would be me." Harvey replied.

"Well that makes our job easier." Sara says as she reaches to her bag to check her phone.

"However it wasn't me who contacted them looking for authorization, an employee of the gallery who stated to work for their security team requested for the cameras to be checked as he believed some were faulty and needed a look at."

Neal looked to Sara.
"An inside job?" Neal asked

"Could be." Sara replied.

"Mr. Warr... Harvey." She corrected herself.
"What was the name of them employee who was in contact with you." Sara asked.

"Rory Sanchez."

Neal looked to Sara with a quizzical look.
"I'm sorry Mr. Warren are you sure that's the name the employee gave you?" Neal asked.

Neal noticed Harvey hadn't corrected him or told him to call him by his first name. For some reason Neal began to feel slightly uncomfortable about how casual and flirtatious Harvey was being with Sara.

"Yes 100% I even wrote it down on my legal pad when I was on the phone."
He flicked open the yellow legal pad and turned back a few pages to display the name written down.
"Why do you ask?"

Sara spoke next and said the exact words Neal was thinking.
"We've questioned all of the employees of the gallery and no one by the name of Rory Sanchez is on the security team or even works there for that matter."

—————-

****
A/N: 
• Sorry updating to longer than usual I've just been going through a rough patch recently and haven't had the concentration to write.
• I will try to update very soon and feel free to message me to encourage me to update sooner.
• If you love white collar as much as me please vote, like and comment. :)