Tears of a Lost Soul

Author: lekro01

Genre: Fantasy

Review is based on first seven chapters. 

Characters are believable and writer knows them well

Characters are believable and writer knows them well. Characterization is at its finest when they interact with each other as it can be seen right from the start in the opening scene between Bathe, 8-year-old protagonist, and Berathelmus. Knowing how hard is to write children when we are past that age, I think that the writer did a great job in portraying gifted and smart kid. Similarly, Berathelmus is supposed to be the wisest person in the story which is evident with every line he says. Writer doesn't rely on other characters to tell a reader that he is wise.

On the other hand, there are some problematic parts. Characters don't interact with their environment and often seem like they are having conversations in timeless and spaceless bubbles. Gesticulation, physical appearance, inner thoughts and emotions are almost non-existent and when they are mentioned it's mostly in passing without enough writer's attention to it. Example from the second chapter when the focus is on Thorin: "It was an odd job which he didn't like. It was against his all beliefs and eyes through which he saw the world." It was never addressed what are those beliefs, which is a shame as this sentence is a good set up for characterization.

One minor problem is also with introducing characters. I found that timing is good but introduction of their names is clunky. First apparent one is at the beginning where the flow of the chapter is interrupted with the sentence that's sole purpose is naming characters whose dialogue we were reading until that point. In that case, names should've been introduced either through dialogue or dialogue tags as that way it would appear more natural. 

Plot is straightforward and common enough to be easily followed without slipping into the cliche

Plot is straightforward and common enough to be easily followed without slipping into the cliche. Through the first seven chapters it progresses with a steady pace. Each chapter acts as a plot point and pushes interest to read further.