Chapter 6 - Catch up

Start from the beginning

All of a sudden he's right next to me screwing the cap back on to the wine bottle. "Lex.." his hand pulling my chin to look at him. "you're crying again. I hate seeing you like this. Talk to me, that's why I'm here."

I step away from his hand and wipe these damn tears that won't stop flowing lately. It's ridiculous.

"It's normal when you're going through something."

"Shit I said that out loud? I think I'm going crazy Daniel."

"No you're not crazy", he sits on the couch next to the bed and motions me to come sit next to him by patting the seat. I bring my glass and bring the bottle too.

"You wanna talk about the race?" I ask trying to change the subject. He takes a big sip of his wine and shakes his head.

"Nope, you wanna talk about whatever the hell has got you so twisted?"

"Nope" I shake my head and take two sips while he laughs at me.

"Well okay then, you got a Playstation in this room?" He gets up and starts looking around the TV cabinet.

"I didn't get the chance to watch any TV, nevermind look for a games console."

"Just my room then" he laughs and I can't help but join him. It's so easy to be with him I can't help but compare everything about the way he treats me to the way Ryan does. I have to fix things when I get home, this is the longest we've gone without talking properly and it's killing me inside.

We decide on a comedy, yet another Adam Sandler movie. Something about him reminds me of Dan, maybe it's the fact that they're both such goofballs in the best way possible. We laughed throughout the entire movie and the next and then we took to chatting about everything for another hour while the credits rolled, not even noticing it was over. Somewhere between the first and second movie we moved to the bed, it was just more comfortable that way.

I realized that Daniel had all the qualities I strive to have in my own life, he was kind, generous and completely selfless. He values family above everything and is driven beyond measure. I admire him so much more as a driver and as a person now that I know him and am so thankful to be able to have this... I wish I could say the same for Ryan. I wish he would just open up to me and let me in. It brings a tear to my eyes

"These damn tears! I'm fine, really Ryan and I are just going through some things and I miss him. That's all." It's all I could manage to get out.

"You guys will be okay, he'd be crazy to give up on someone like you." Cue the waterworks.

"It's getting late, we should call it a night."

"Sure." He gets up and starts to pack away our trail of snacks and bottles.

"Oh, Danny you really don't have to do any of that."

"It's the least I could do, Lex. I needed this."

"No I needed this, thank you!"

After a quick clean up it's time to say goodbye, he's going back to Monaco tomorrow and I'll only see him in a week's time. He steps towards me with his arms spread wide. I walk into him while he envelopes me in a comfy bear hug. We just stand for a while our time together draws to a close. He's the first to let go and I force myself to step away.

"Goodbye Lex, I'll see you soon."

"Bye Danny, thanks for.. Everything." I smile

He smiles back and closes the door behind him. 

-

After another 21 hour flight back to London and a 2-hour car ride I was back at home, Mike had a car at the airport and offered to give me a lift since I had taken a taxi there. Ryan was using my car while his was being worked on and I still hadn't gotten hold of him to come and fetch me.