Bye Bye Braces

Three Weeks Later...

My eyes flutter open and I hear crazy beeping. "My..." I look down and see a large band over my stomach. I look around and I don't see my room. I'm in the hospital.

I then remember what happened. I throw the sheet from over me and I get up. As I stand I notice something.

"My legs..." Just then my sister walks in with flowers and she stops short. "Myla?" She drops the flowers and I somehow grab them with quick reflexes. She doesn't pay attention to that little thing, instead she hugs me and I wince. "I'm sorry! I'm so sorry. Aunt Gwen! Come quick!" Aunt Gwen comes in and she smiles. "Your parents are going to be so happy to see you. Now, let's get you back to bed and I'll go call the nurses to make sure you're okay."

Courtney helps me get back into bed and she gives me a quick story.

"So I've been in a coma for the past three weeks, Calli might get expelled and Jaime has been here to see me almost every day?"

"Yeah, we just past him in the halls. He's been beating himself up over it. Mom and dad pretty much love him, because he was the one who saved you." I nod taking this all in. The nurse then comes to check on me and as she removed my bandage to clean it, she freezes.

I look and see nothing there. "What? Did I break a rib or something?" My sister and even Aunt Gwen were just standing there. "I'll be right back." The nurse says but Aunt Gwen stops her and pulls her to the side. "Court, que pasa? Why is everyone acting weird?"

"Myla, you should a huge missing piece of skin. You should have a skin graph and it should still be healing." My sister pokes me and I laugh. "That tickles." My sister backs away from me and I reach under my braces to itch them.

Man these things are itchy, when did they get so itchy. "Myla, get dressed. I'm taking you home." Aunt Gwen says as the nurse leaves the room. She hands me some clothes and I ask for Courtney to help me. She hands me my crutches and takes my clothes so that I can walk.

Something odd happens. As I stand, I feel my legs are strong. Almost like I don't need the braces. I walk to the bathroom and my sister hands me my clothes. When she closes the door, I put my crutches down and stand.

Walk to the window.

My legs do what my thoughts tell them and I'm not feeling pressure in my spine. In fact my braces feel annoying and heavy.

I look at my outfit and see basketball shorts and a Spider-Man t shirt. I roll my eyes. "Clearly dad picked out this outfit." My father is a Spider-Man fan. Of the Peter Parker and the other one who retired about five years ago.

I put on my clothes and when I start to walk out I pause. I see I'm not using my crutches. I don't want to freak anyone out, so I take them and come out of the room.

Aunt Gwen had a wheel chair ready for me. "Do I have to?" I ask. I hate wheel chairs. I had to use one for five years and told myself I'd never go back.

"Sorry kiddo, it's hospital policy." I huff and hand my sister my crutches as I sit in the wheel chair. We leave out of the room then. "Where's mom and dad?"

"Your mom is getting questioned at the station about the lab incident and your dad is with her. They should be back home soon."

"Is mom in trouble? She knows it wasn't her fault right? Wait will I be questioned?" Aunt Gwen places a hand on my shoulder. "Stop worrying, when its time then it's time."

I nod and she wheels me down the hall. I feel a strange sensation in the right side of my brain. A nurse was walking by and she trips with whatever she had on her tray. Aunt Gwen moves with easy quickness to avoid the mess the nurse had made.