CHAPTER ONE

In 1979, I went to a college in New York to study Law when I was 19

In 1979, I went to a college in New York to study Law when I was 19. My high school sweetheart, Brock, got a scholarship for a school nearby, so we deciding to stay to together. What a fucking mistake that was. We were together for all of high school, 6 years before we went to college.

3 years later, at 22, Brock finally decided to break up with me for some girl named Becky, a girl studying to be a doctor.

Out of anger and sadness, I decided to drop out of college and travel back home to Los Angeles to live with my parents and younger siblings.

When I arrived at my parents doorstep, they were completely shocked to see me. I had bags under her eyes, mascara running down my cheeks and I had my hair up messily. I was wearing a school sweatshirt and yoga pants.

I hadn't called in advance to let my parents know and it was extremely late at night. It was close to midnight.

When my father, David, opened the door, he was shocked.

"Gina?" He asked. He smiled at me. wrinkles appearing around the corners of his eyes. "Honey, what are you doing home? You said you couldn't visit until Christmas."

I stepped inside, sighing and hauled my bag inside the house. "Brock broke up with me and I dropped out school." I couldn't bare to look at my father, scared he would be disappointed in me.

Unexpectedly, all my father did was pull me into a hug. It was rare for David to do this, he showed his love in different ways, never really been an affectionate person, expect with my mom.

"Why don't you go to bed? We can't talk in the morning." David suggested. I shook my head.

"No I wanna go out. Where's Tommy? I haven't seen him in forever."

All I knew about Tommy was that he was in a new band, with some stupidly edgy band name. The only other member I could remember was Vince Neil, he was the lead singer. I remembered him from school, he tried to get with all of my friends when he was in eighth grade.

"He's was at a show last I heard. He doesn't live here anymore."

That was all I needed to hear.
————
After getting the address of the venue Tommy was playing at, I got dressed. I redid my makeup, threw on what I could find in my suitcase. I slipped on my combat boots, and made my way out the door.

I came to the venue, walked in and saw that it was some shady bar. I walked up to a nearby customer and shoved between the two drunks sitting at the bar.

"Excuse me, hi. Do you have any idea where Motley Crüe usually goes after their shows? They played here tonight." I asked, quite uncomfortable. This wasn't the my first time on the Sunset Strip and I knew how terrible some of the people can be.

"Uh yea, they go to the bar down the street." One of the nearby customers answered. I nodded, making my way out of there as quickly as possible.
***
When I finally reached the bar, I immediately found my brother. He was sitting in a booth with three other guys. I only recognized Vince Neil, though he looked much different since the last time I saw him. Of course that was about 3 years ago.

I smiled at Tommy, walking forward to their table. Tommy didn't notice me until I was standing right in front of him.

"What are you doing home?" Was the first thing he said to me.

I rolled her eyes at him. "Some fucking way to greet me. It's not like it's been 3 years or anything."

Tommy closed his eyes and shook his head. "Right, sorry." Tommy stood up and pulled her into a hug. When they pulled apart, he gestured for me to sit down next Vince. "Sit."

I slid into the booth and noticed how one of the two guys was staring at me. Which didn't make me feel uncomfortable, just weird. But I just ignored him, and smiled at Vince.

"Hi, Gina. How's college?" He asked. I shrugged.

"I don't know, I dropped out." These were words Tommy wanted to hear apparently, but he perked right up.

"Wait, does your moving back here? What about Brock, does this mean you guys finally broke up?" He seemed overly excited about the idea of me and Brock breaking up.

"Can we not talk about Brock right now? I think I just need a drink."
———
After a few too many drinks, I had moved seats to sit next to the unknown guy who was staring at me -who I learned was named Nikki the other guy was named Mick- because I didn't want to sit next to my brother while he got his dick sucked.

A guy was shoulder length brown hair and some weird fashion sense walked over to the table. "Hi, I'm Tom Zutant. I work for Elektra Records. I've been watching you guys play and I really think I could do something for you."

Tommy told him to sit down, which meant everyone had to move over. So, I ended up sitting in Nikki's lap, which he didn't seem to mind. Tom continued to talk shit about record deals before he shot up from his seat. Of course the blowjob girl had gotten to him.

"What? Not for you?" She asked him, her face barely noticed by anyone else at the table.

Tom shook his head. "No, no thank you." When the woman went back under the table, he sat back down. "So what do you guys say? You want a record deal?"

The boys laughed, too shitfaced to truly understand what he was offering.

Vince leaned back and looked at him. "I don't know if we can trust a guy who turns down a free blowjob." He laughed.

Tommy shoved me lightly from across the table. "Why don't we ask the only smart one at this table?" Suddenly all eyes were on me. I sighed.

"How long does this last?" I asked, stretching across the table like a cat.

"Five records." Tom answered quickly.

"That's a lot of music." I said, sitting back up and leaning back into Nikki as he placed his hands on my waist holding me in place.

"Lot of money."

"Well, Tom, I think it's safe to you've got yourself a deal."