Hope and Fear

Year: 1941 The Raids Begin

I was in the kitchen when I heard the first scream. I had never heard a sound so terrifying in my life. I looked at my mother whose brown eyes betrayed the horror that she tried to hide so often. No one spoke knowing that the sound came from next door and we would be next. After what felt like a lifetime the door made the most horrible sound its made in my life. There was a knock my mother turned to me and with out speaking signaled me to head to the hiding spot. With a finger she pointed at a board my father had loosened up a month ago to hide me if they ever came. Today was the day of my death. Today everything would change. I headed towards the board and loosened it. I slipped underneath and laid down. It felt like being in a coffin, like this was dying alive. My mother nailed the board shut and left me. The darkness was frightening but not more than not knowing what would come next. I heard my mothers footsteps fading away, I felt the abandonment. The door opened and even though I could not hear the words I knew the feeling and thats when the first shot was fired. My mother screamed, I died inside. The hard footsteps were all over the house. They searched everything, at one point I thought they found me. I thought they saw, one of them got so close that I feared he would hear my heart. How could he not, it was almost trying to escape my body. My mother screamed again and told them she was alone. The man yelled in a language that I did not understand well but I knew what it meant. My mother then repeated that she was alone and that she did not know where I was. The man speaking shot again and this time my mother's scream went higher than ever before. The pain was excruciating, I needed to get out I needed to see my mom! I tried to move but found that I was trapped I could not get out!!!!!! MY MOM!!!!! The house then went silent with the exception of one laugh, that disgusting laugh. The footsteps then began to come from everywhere again I guessed they were still looking for me until I understood one word coming out of a man that meant watch. The only watch that I knew of was that of my grandfathers, it was old and made with gold, he had made it himself. I hoped they would take it, I hoped they would take everything and just leave. Leave my mom, leave me. A females whimper preceded the footsteps again this time they were going towards the door. I heard my mom make one last sound and that was a cry. The last sound I heard from my mom was her crying. At that moment I cried too because I knew I died.