Prologue

***This is set nearly 70 years after our story begins***

On the veranda of a house in the middle of 3000 acres of Sunflower fields, there is a swing that is swinging. The oldest man I have ever known is using his cane to stop the swinging. He has always been afraid of the whoosh so I push my feet off the ground and swing a bit higher. I have known him for more than 50 years, if I don't antagonise him occasionally, I shall die of boredom instead of old age.

There are three people playing together in my garden. My great, great granddaughter Saylor who was born when I was 94 years old. In the 98 years that I've been on this earth, she's the only person I have ever met with the same name as me. My great grandson Peter, who looks more and more like a great grandfather he will only know from pictures, is her father. My grandson Sam who owns this house and every bit of land that I can see is his father. They are visiting for the weekend.

Saylor and Peter and Sam and The Old Man on the swing and I only have each other. It is our tradition to spend valentines together.

We have all loved, and every single one of us has lost. Saylor's mother, Peter's wife in childbirth, Sam's wife to cancer. Both of us on the swing, well we have loved despite how much we are capable of hurting.

This is our story.

My three great loves and his one.