Chapter 21: Epilogue

Start from the beginning

He finished making his tea and shuffled over to the kitchen table, pulling his laptop closer from where it sat in the centre of the table. He slipped the headphones over his ears and opened the collection of videos he'd taken while his family had been there, smiling as Daisy's grinning face filled the screen. She was in the pool with Candy, Harry holding her as they prepared for her ride. When he pressed play, she was talking at the camera excitedly and Louis was talking back, Harry smiling up at him fondly with his arms wrapped around Daisy's middle. Phoebe and Lux were sitting on the side of the pool, dangling their legs in the water and waiting for their turn.

He sat and watched each of the videos he had taken in turn, smiling down at the laughing faces of his parents and his sisters, his heart twisting tightly in his chest.

He had missed his family – and their visit had highlighted just how much.

****

Harry stood in the doorway of the kitchen, unseen, as he watched Louis. He knew Louis was missing his family – and he also knew that Louis was hiding his feelings from him, trying not to let on that he was hurting. He had broached the subject with him several times, but Louis always smiled and told him he was fine, before changing the subject.

He obviously didn't want Harry to know, but Harry could read him like a book. He was always attuned to Louis' moods – like some sort of internal emotional compass or something, and he hated that Louis was unhappy. He also hated that Louis wouldn't share those feelings with him – they were supposed to be a team. He wanted to help but he didn't know how, and he didn't want to make a big deal about it in case he upset Louis further.

After a few moments, Louis reached out and touched the screen of his laptop, almost like he was attempting to embrace is family with his fingers, and Harry wanted so much to walk over and take him in his arms, but he felt like an intruder in that moment, an observer that shouldn't be there – so he turned and went back to bed, lying awake in the dark as he waited for Louis to return.

When Louis returned some time later, the sky was already lightening with the pre-dawn. As he slid between the sheets, Harry reached for him and he responded immediately, letting Harry curl around him and pulling him close, despite the humidity.

"You okay babe?" Harry asked quietly.

"Fine love" Louis replied, slipping a hand up to pat him softly on the hand that was wrapped around his middle. "Just couldn't sleep – the heat's kicking my arse" he joked, and he let out a small chuckle, but it wasn't overly convincing.

"Lou?" Harry asked, his voice barely a whisper.

"Hmmmm?" Louis replied, already drifting off to sleep.

"Are you happy here?" Harry held his breath, almost afraid of the answer.

Louis turned in his arms, lying on his side to face him. He reached up and placed a palm along Harry's jaw. "You make me happier than I have ever been Harry, and here is where you are – so yes, I'm happy here." He placed a tender kiss on Harry's lips and rolled back over, pulling Harry's arms around his torso and pushing his back up against Harry's chest with a sigh. Harry placed a kiss on his shoulder, pulling him close.

They were both aware that Louis hadn't really answered the question Harry was asking.

*** 

Harry took a swig of his cold beer, tilting his head to the side and stretching his neck after a long day working in the sun. The cool liquid slid down his throat, giving him a small respite from the relentless heat.

"He's really missing them – I can tell" he told Niall and Zayn as they waited for Louis to meet them after work. "And that's only natural isn't it? He'd feel better if he talked about it – but it's like he doesn't want me to stress that he's not completely happy or something."