Chapter 11: Secrets

Beginne am Anfang

Harry breathed deeply and slowly. "Breathe with me Lou" he murmured, rubbing his thumbs over Louis' wrists, and he felt Louis' body sag as the fight left him. Louis took a few deep breaths with him, exhausted now the panic had subsided. He leaned forward, resting his head on Harry's chest as he regained his composure.

"It's so hard Haz" he said softly "it's so hard and I'm tired. Why can't I just do this? What's wrong with me?"

Harry reached down to cup his cheeks and lifted his face up, brushing the wetness from his cheeks with his thumbs. "There's nothing wrong with you Lou, you're so remarkable and you can't even see it. This is hard, I know and it feels like it's impossible sometimes, but look at how far you've come already." He grinned then, a mischievous glint in his eyes as he added "speaking of success - you made three minutes Lou! So you know what that means!" He waggled his eyebrows suggestively, making Louis roll his eyes affectionately.

"God you are completely outrageous" Louis chuckled, but he could already feel the heat spreading through his body as he thought about what he had in store.

They sat on the platform for a while, feeding fish to Candy as she swam back and forth in front of them. Harry made a hand signal and she slid to a stop just in front of them, rolling onto her back so they could stroke along her stomach. Louis smiled as his hand glided across the rubbery surface of her skin. She really was something and he loved getting so close and interacting with her.

"When will I get to ride with her?" he asked Harry.

"When you are swimming fully" Harry answered.

Louis sighed. "Sorry Candy" he told her "But the boss won't let me have a ride just yet. He's such a party pooper."

Harry snorted. "You won't be saying that later tonight" he answered with a wink.

***

"Niall!" Barb called out from the doorway of the feed rooms. "Can you feed Mr Peabody for me? I need to get over and check on Bubbles."

Niall looked up from where he was filling a bucket of fish for Bart, Zayn sitting on the seat beside him. "No fuckin' way!" he answered. "That bird gets nothing from me! I am on strike since he bit my arse the nasty bastard!"

Zayn chuckled as Barb rolled her eyes. "Stop trying to be tough" she teased "just admit you're too scared of him now."

"I am no such thing!" Niall protested. "I am just disinclined to bring food to something that tries to attack me!"

Barb put her hands on her hip, arching her brow at him. "So you're not scared?" she asked, her tone indicating she didn't believe him.

"No I am not thank you very much, Barb" Niall replied, irritated.

"Good, then you won't mind helping me out – gotta run, bye!" She took off before Niall could protest again.

He huffed out an annoyed breath, muttering away under his breath about traitorous co-workers. Zayn came up behind him, wrapping his arms around him and leaning over to speak in his ear. "Aww, Nialler, do you want me to come with you and protect you from the big mean birdy?"

Niall pretended to sulk as he turned in Zayn's arms, but was holding back a smile when he answered "yes I do." He leaned up to kiss Zayn before adding "and let's get it over with now before I feed Bart."

***

They stood looking at Mr Peabody, Niall with a scowl and Zayn with a curious frown. The large pelican stood in front of them, wings spread out wide and beak wide open, squawking at them.