Chapter 1: Changes

Start from the beginning

Despite his bellyaching, he loved every minute of the game, teasing his sisters with his ball skills and letting Phoebe and Daisy get past him to score on purpose, just to see their grins. They even got a bit cocky and started teasing him, which he found beyond adorable and he just threw back his head and laughed. All in all, it was an afternoon well spent before they started to feel the chill of the evening air and all slipped into track pants and hoodies and set out some chairs around the fire pit, ready to make their evening fire.

When Louis emerged from their tent, slipping on an old green hoodie that had seen too many camping trips to mention, he wandered toward the group of people currently discussing how to set the logs for a fire.

"Step aside people!" Louis bellowed as he barged through to the centre of the group. "No need to stress about this, I've got it sorted – like always, we'll do it the Tommo way!"

Zayn rolled his eyes and Stan laughed. "The Tommo way usually ends in disaster mate!"

Louis gave them a mock lock of indignation. "How very rude! And I'll have you know that setting Zayn's jacket on fire was an accident – and I still maintain he was to blame and really, that was years ago, so let's move on and get over it, shall we?" There was a collective groan as Louis, once again, denied responsibility for setting Zayn on fire, when it was very much his fault.

He looked down at the haphazard pile of logs and frowned. "Well, we have a problem here already – or a start, you kids only have large logs here. We need smaller logs and some sticks for kindling. Better go for a walk and collect some smaller stuff or we'll never get a fire started."

"Can we come too?" asked Daisy.

Louis reached out and ruffled her hair, smiling fondly. "Of course bug. Let's go!"

He took Daisy's hand in his and Phoebe grabbed his other one. As they wandered around, collecting up small sticks for kindling, he chatted to his youngest siblings, asking them questions about anything and everything and simply relishing the chance to connect with them. His life was incredibly busy these days, being his first year out of Uni and teaching Drama to high school students. It was nice to have some quiet time to really chat with these two rascals in a way he rarely had time for at home with its loud chaos and busy schedules. It was one of the things he loved most about this camping trip each year.

Phoebe was the more boisterous of the two, talking almost non-stop and never being still – she reminded him of himself. Daisy was quieter, more reserved and the one he felt closest to – the one who brought out his protective instincts, as she had always seemed more vulnerable. She gravitated to Louis as well, always hanging around, looking for his attention, but not demanding it. They shared a special affection, although he loved all his sisters very much.

"Why did you become a teacher Lou?" asked Phoebe out of the blue.

"Well" he answered thoughtfully "because teaching kids makes me happy. I enjoy it."

"Mrs Robertson is our teacher" Daisy told him, frown between her little blue eyes "but she doesn't seem very happy to me. I don't think she enjoys it at all."

Louis chuckled. "Well, I guess it's not for everyone" he answered.

"I think you'd be a good teacher" Daisy smiled softly up at him, two front teeth currently missing, and Louis felt his heart swell.

"Thank you darling" he grinned down at her.

"I wish you were our teacher!" added Phoebe. "Then we would never have to do our homework!"

"Hey!" Louis protested "what makes you think you'd get away with that?"

Phoebe giggled. "Because, Lou, you can never stay mad at us for long! And besides, when do we ever do what you tell us?" she grinned at him.