Safe

Your heartbeat didn't fail to increase in speed when he entered the store, slowly approaching you at the counter. You were definitely not ready for this. ——————————————————————————————–

"I can't tell you how happy I am that you're here Y/N!"

Maxine, your cousin happily shouted as she drove you to town. You were more than happy to manage yourself, but she insisted she'd pick you up from the train station.

"Well I'm glad to be here with my favorite cousin after ages, so the feeling's mutual" you replied smiling, brushing the hair off your face. Halfway through the journey, Maxine noticed the gas was running low. And that made you worry.

"Perfectly alright...I believe we are saved" she assured you, indicating the gas station that was ahead of them.

Cricket Pate emerged from the restaurant to find Maxine get off her car, along with an unfamiliar face.

"We're in need of gas, handsome " Maxine called out to him.

"You're not even gonna introduce me to your friend Maxie?" Cricket asked, with an adorable smile.

"Actually it's my cousin..." Maxine replied, turning to you, "Y/N...Cricket...Cricket...Y/N!" She said, as you and Cricket shook hands. "Y/N is a wonderful Seamstress," she continued, while Cricket helped out in filling the gas.

"Is that so? Maybe you can fix me up a nice suit..." Cricket said, "Heheheh...maybe I will" you laughed while you stood next to him. Maxine walked around to look.

"The Bondurants ain't around today?"

"Jack and Howard ain't ...but I bet Forrest is " you slowly moved back, while you looked at the restaurant, listening to Cricket's reply,

"Ah!-"

You backed up too far, only to get your heel caught in the gas hose pipe, thus falling backwards.

But suddenly, a strong hand caught you by the shoulder, letting fall on a broad chest instead of the hard ground.

"Just in time, Forrest!" Cricket laughed.

For a split second you felt the safest you've ever felt, in the arms of a stranger you haven't even laid eyes on. In that realization, you slowly turned to face him. He looked strong, but gentle. He seemed he could be tough, but the warm features in his face begged to differ. Enamored you were by him, that you were positively speechless.

"Y' alright?" The southern drawl was quite visible in his deep voice.

You wanted to answer, but no voice came out.

"Oh Forrest, thank you so much" Maxine's voice made his hand leave your shoulder as if it caught fire. He grunted in acknowledgement, and then walked into the restaurant. But as you both got back into the car, you saw him come out, standing there by the porch to watch you leave.

You let out a deep breath, as the car started to move, and his figure started to vanish from your sight.

"What the hell happened to you??"

You sighed, "I don't know..." turning to face your cousin.

"Sweetie, I think it's time you learn about the Bondurant brothers ...including the Legend that is Forrest" ——————————————————————————————–

A new town, a new workplace seemed quite ideal ever since your parents passed away. So your Aunt and Uncle were simply angels when they asked you to come live with them in Virginia. And helping out with their clothing store did not seem like a bad idea.