Chapter 55: Reason To Live

Start from the beginning

Emily gulped. She frantically went through all the options, trying to figure out what Malfoy was up to before he said it out loud. She wanted to be ready, she wanted to come up with a strategy before something terrible happened.

"He's far away, Emily, but it will be easier for me to get to him than to you now. I don't even need to know where he is," Malfoy threw a strand of hair behind his back and for a second looked like a white-haired elf from children's fairy tales. "There's one thing we both know about." Malfoy paused. "He's a werewolf."

Something exploded inside Emily and then shrank into a tight pulsating lump. She felt her fingers and lips tremble at the realization of what Malfoy intended to do.

"The full moon is around the corner, dear. Only two weeks away. And then, I will throw a bone to your dog," anger filled Malfoy and almost oozed from his eyes. "Very large, delicious bone. You. I'll give him a tip where to look for you, hint how bad you're here and you know, he'll rush off at full speed. And by chance ─ by chance ─ will stumble upon a pack with our old friend at the head."

Emily closed her eyes. If Remus meets Greyback, if Greyback calls him, if Remus obeys and follows him... He will be in hell. And maybe this hell even will appeal to him.

Lucius waited, thrusting his hands deep into his pockets and looking down at Emily without former anger. He felt he had won this time, and something very similar to respect had stirred up in him when he looked at the girl who had shed no tear, did not utter a single word.

Emily opened her eyes. She tried to open her mouth and say something, but her throat was hoarse after long days of silence.

"My wish is simple, Emily. You will deliver me from the curse you brought upon my head. You have a week and a half and no choice. I think you understand that I can get your werewolf even after your death, so please, don't be silly. And if you'll be useful, perhaps I will even secure you from Mulciber. If you want, of course."

Emily nodded slowly.

I'll do it, she moved her lips.

Malfoy nodded and left without looking around.

When Mulciber left, he always extinguished the candles in the room, leaving Emily in impenetrable, soothing darkness. But Malfoy didn't give her such pleasure and left her to indulge in agonizing thoughts, looking at the white stone girl in front of her.

A week after staying here, Emily gained a considerable resemblance with her, but now it worried her in the least.

She realized what slavery she fell into. Malfoy may shield her from Mulciber, but from now on her life will be unbearable. It will cease to belong to her.

If she copes with the curse, they won't leave her alone. Even if Severus doesn't understand the true meaning of a potion, he will understand her train of thought and will give everything to Voldemort. Severus is a Death Eater. He serves the killer of children and women. She needed to accept it and not build silly illusions. Stop hoping.

And if Voldemort finds out she brews the potion, and he will find out, she'll be unsaved. She will become a freelance potion maker for Death Eaters, and she will always be on the hook. Because Remus is a werewolf and will remain werewolf even after Emily's death. And she can't afford such a luxury ─ to die and leave him alone with the vengeful bastard Lucius and all his freaking guard.

Rage rose inside Emily, filling her to the top. She even moved on her own.

She had a week and a half and during this time she has to deal with a problem that the best magicians of the world didn't sort out.

The next day, they moved Emily into a guest house above the torture chambers. There was so much sun, warmth, and comfort in it that in the first moments Emily even closed her eyes and tears came out from the bright light. Asshole Mulciber thought she was crying with happiness.

He had almost lifted Imperio, and Emily had to admit that he needed to be a master of the spell to cast it partly. Mulciber was a freak but a talented one, and to some extent it even admired her.

The house had four rooms, including twin bedrooms, a living room and a dining room, and two bathrooms. After moving, they gave her a huge amount of food. She could not digest so much after a long hunger strike, but it still was a joyful event. In addition, she could wash herself and relax in hot water. But that was where her rest ended, and Emily set to work.

Malfoy supplied her with forbidden ingredients, books stolen from the ministerial library, experimental samples of dubious kinds, and even returned her magic wand.

Two days after, Malfoy came with another set of tools and books, but he looked like he came from the abyss. Something terrible happened, but Emily could not understand what, but she felt sympathy for the guy.

Mulciber was shocked at Emily's freedom of action and walked for the first few days with a wary and curious expression on his face. He wanted to know how Lucius could 'lure' Emily to volunteer, but he knew he wouldn't be told. However, she saw him infrequently and almost didn't shudder anymore when he passed behind the window, walking through his huge garden.

In addition, they put one little lame elf to her. In the morning and in the evening, with worried sad sighs, it treated Emily's body with a healing ointment under the hoarse chuckles of its patient. Emily still didn't talk to anyone and wrote all her wishes to Malfoy on parchment, but the fact of treatment extremely amused her. What for, if Mulciber will repeat everything again?

This thought didn't cause either fear or desire to run — she didn't give a damn what he would do to her. Because she was much more afraid for Remus than for herself, and now she almost hated her weakness in the fifth year, which started the whole story with Malfoy. If only then she restrained herself, forgot about her revenge and didn't cast those charms. But talking about it now was too late.

Emily worked like a dog, and only that brought her relief. She ate rarely, almost didn't sleep, didn't go out, although the garden was allowed for her to walk. For the first time in a month, she felt enthusiasm for her favorite thing and now she was trying to forget herself in it.

Lucius didn't rush her as if he had a whole eternity, asked nothing as if he understood that she was doing everything possible.

And she did.