Chapter 8 The Long Journey ahead

It had been about a couple of weeks now since Archie had woken up from his coma and was told that he'd have to be in a wheelchair until his spine has properly healed and Archie had developed severe depression from it all. He rarely even spoke to anyone and he was always spending most of the time in his bedroom, looking out the window.

"Archie?" Fred called out from behind Archie's bedroom door.

Archie ignored his dad and continued to look out the window.

"Son. I-I know that this is hard for you and I know that you don't want to talk about it but, you really need to talk to someone instead of spending so much time in your room" Fred said, sighing.

Archie then turned his head and looked at the door before sighing and wheeling himself over to the door. He then grabbed the handle and tried to open the door but he ended up falling off the wheelchair and landing on the ground. He began to sob as he then felt a tremendous amount of pain in his spine.

Fred heard Archie fall, so he rushed into the room and rushed to his son. He then carefully picked his son up, made sure the wheelchair was upright and then carefully placed Archie back on the wheelchair. Archie then looked at his dad and smiled before wheeling himself over to his bed. Fred watched as Archie wheeled himself over to his bed. Fred then sat right next to Archie.

"This really sucks, Dad" Archie said, wiping the tears from his face.

"I know it does, son. I wish that I could be able to just wave my hands and heal your back but unfortunately it's gonna take some time until your back is properly healed" Fred said.

Archie then looked over at the window.

"I don't even know why any of this happened"Archie sighed as he then looked at his dad.

"I don't know either, son" Fred said as he then looked at Archie and put his hand on Archie's shoulder.

*DOORBELL RINGS*

"I'll go and see who that is" Fred said as he then stood up.

"Yeah" Archie said as he then watched his dad leave the room.

He then looked back at the window and then wheeled himself over to it and stared out of it.

Fred walked down to the first floor of the house and then reached for the door handle and then opened the door. Fred was then greeted by Jughead, Betty and Veronica.

"Hey guys" Fred said as he then stood to the side, letting the three teenagers into the house.

"Hey Fred" Jughead, Betty and Veronica said at the same time.

Fred then closed the door behind them and then turned around to face them.

"How's Archie doing?" Jughead asked.

"Not good. Ever since he came home from the hospital, he's been really distant" Fred sighed as he then sat on the living room couch.

"Do you think he'll talk to us?" Jughead then asked.

"You guys can try" Fred then said.

Veronica, Betty and Jughead then walked over to the stairs and then walked up to Archie's room while Fred stayed downstairs, reading the letters from the hospital.

"Archie? Do you mind if we come in?" Betty asked as she knocked on Archie's bedroom door.

"Come in" Archie sighed.

Betty then pushed the door open and then Betty, Jughead and Veronica walked in.

Archie then turned the wheelchair around and looked at his friends.

"Hey guys" Archie said with a slight smile on his face.

"Hey Archie" Veronica said as she then walked over to him and kissed him on the lips.

"Hey Ronnie" Archie said with a smile as he then looked at her.

"How are you, Archie?" Betty then asked as her, Jughead and Veronica then sat down on Archie's bed.

"Next question" Archie joked, sighing.

Jughead, Betty and Veronica laughed and soon, so did Archie.

"Has your back improved ever since you came out of the hospital?" Jughead then asked.

"A little bit. I still have no feeling in my legs at this point but my back hurts like hell when I try to do certain things" Archie said.

"Like what?" Veronica asked.

"Like, reaching for things, climbing into bed and getting dressed" Archie sighed.

"So basically the usual things you do every day" Jughead then said.

"Yeah. Exactly" Archie said with a nod.

Archie then looked down at his legs.

"You ok, Arch?" Betty then asked.

"Yeah. It's just.....I hate being like this" Archie then sighed as he looked at his friends.