Every Hero Has An Origin Story, Right?

Start from the beginning

"Well it's like mom says, this city is going to hell in a basket." She lays down on my bed and I join her. "This is our independence. I'm happy that dad won't hover me or mom probing me for new work. I just want to explore the world and get my feet wet."

"Well when you start swimming in that big ocean remember to come back for me little sister." We both face each other and smile. "I'll never leave you behind, big sister." We both link pinkies and I yawn.

"Mind if I sleep in here tonight?" Courtney asks. "I don't mind." I say in a sleepy tone. "I'm gonna go take a shower and then I'll be back." I nod and get under my thin sheet.

As I hear my sister leave I take my slap journal and slide it in my night stand, where the hidden compartment is.

I won't lie hearing that Jaime asked my sister out was a bummer but at least I know he isn't dating Calli anymore.

I must have dozed off for a while because when I opened my eyes again, my sister was sitting up writing in her slap journal.

"Did I wake you?" Courtney asks. "No, you didn't." I sit up a bit and peek, but she moves her journal. "Court?"

"Yeah?"

"For tomorrow on the trip, will you sit with me on the bus?" My sister laughs. "I thought we already were bus buddies, Mimi." I blush.

"Well, I figured you'd be sitting with Jaime, on the bus." She rollers her eyes. "Just because he asked me out doesn't mean we're getting married. I'll always sit with you, because you're womb-mate."

"You still make that corny joke?" I playfully punch her in the arm and she laughs.

"Don't be scared-"

"I'm not scared." I retort. "I know, but don't think that because of Jaime, that I'll treat you any different." She turns off the light and puts her slap journal under the pillow.

"Hey, you know you're amazing right?" My sister says as she leans her head on my shoulder. "Thanks womb-mate." I tease as I feel myself doze off to sleep.

The next morning, as we lined up for the bus. Courtney was talking with Jasmine while I just stand there looking at my braces.

I glance up and see Jaime looking at me. I quickly look away. "Your man is looking over here, chica." Jasmine whispers to my sister. "I know, but you gotta play it cool. If I look at him now, he's gonna think he can rule over me." I huff and get ready to get on the bus. "Miss Morales, let me." Mrs. Clause says as she takes my crutches. I feel everyone staring and I feel embarrassed. "I got it." My sister moves in and helps me get on the bus. "Thank you." I say quietly as I sit down. Jasmine sits behind us and I take my headphones out and turn on my music. My sister taps me and I take my earphones off for a second.

"Hey, I'll be right back. Jasmine wants to ask me about our project for chemistry." I nod and she leaves. I put my headphones back on and listen to a classic.

I mutter the lyrics and lean my head against the window. I glance over and see Jaime and he smiles at me. I feel my face get hot and look back out the window.

About forty minutes later, we were in the lobby of the BMT Lab and I see Nick standing by himself. "Hey, I didn't see you on the bus." We dab each other up. "My brother gave me a ride. He's like super excited to show me his work and stuff."

"I bet-" I see Courtney and Calli talking and I notice my sister looks upset. "Nick, I'll be right back." I manage to get over where my sister is and hear Calli call her a slut.