Every Hero Has An Origin Story, Right?

My sister and I are identical twin. We look exactly alike. Even down to our matching birth marks. A white patch on the back of our heads.

The only way you can tell is apart is, well...

I have braces on my legs.

When Courtney and I were two, our parents noticed that I wasn't using my legs properly like her. I was tested and it turns out that I had severe Spina Bifida. It's where a baby (i.e. me.) has a birth defect in their spine. In most cases babies grow out of it or get special surgeries. But for me? I was one of those rare cases. Rare as in, no cure and if I got the surgery, I would bleed to death.

I know, I know, tragic story. But it's not all bad. Dad was able to get me leg braces, and Courtney helps me out a lot.

But if truth be told?

I hate how everyone looks at me and just feels pity. So what I can't walk on my own? I just know that something amazing is going to happen to me, it's just taking a while. Like seventeen years a while...

"Myla? Are you up?" I glance at my window and see my sister. I put my slap journal down and grab one of my crutches and hobble to the window. I open it and she climbs inside.

"Why couldn't you climb in your room?" I ask her as she closes my window. "Dad put bars on my window, remember?"

"Oh right? Because you keep sneaking out. Don't start using my window, then my room is going to look like a prison." My sister rolls her eyes and as I go back to my bed, her reflexes kick in and she helps me.

"I got it." I tell her, as I places myself on my bed. She takes my crutch and leans it against my dresser. "You'll never guess what Jaime said to me?" My ears perk up.

(Jaime Rivera aka my boyfriend

(Jaime Rivera aka my boyfriend...okay but in my dreams we're in a full committed relationship 😭)

Jaime Rivera was the hottest senior of Midtown High. All the girls want him, and I was not exempt. But he wouldn't go for the cripple girl. He'd probably go for the cripple girl's twin sister.

"What did he say?" I ask as I pretend I'm not interested. "He asked me out." I put on my best fake smile. "That's great! I'm sure you're going to have fun."

Courtney leans back on my bed with a big dopey grin on her face and I decide to change the subject. "So, did start packing for Maine yet?" I ask her.

"I'm getting to it. I just need a few more things. But  what about you?"

"I'm packed, and repackaged, and packed again. I'm just happy Aunt Gwen is letting us stay with her for the summer."

"I can't believe mom and dad are letting us stay go." Courtney comments. "I can, this place is getting worse and worse. Last week, Ms. Donna had got robbed for her jewelry."