Epilogue

Carla entered the room, nervously, unsure of what to expect. She hadn't spoken to Michelle since she'd accepted the sergeant's bargain and agreed to testify against her in court. With the trial looming, she was surprised to receive a visiting order. She wasn't even sure they were supposed to see each other.

All the same, she arrived at the prison early, rehearsing her apology over and over in her head. She had left Peter waiting in the car; a sort of reminder as to why she'd made this decision.

As she took a step further into the visiting room, her eyes met Michelle's. She noticed her friends face light up as she spotted her and instantly felt more at ease. Michelle looked thinner and paler than when Carla had last seen her, but it was clear that the burden of guilt had been lifted.

"Hey you." Michelle smiled, as Carla took a seat opposite her.

"Hey..." Carla whispered. "Chelle, I-"

"If you're about to apologise to me then don't bother, Carla." Michelle stated. She rested her hand on top of her friends. "You're doing the right thing. Neither you nor Peter deserved to get caught up in this..."

Carla sighed. Despite what Michelle was saying, she still felt awful for it.

"Besides, I'm the one that should be apologising. I should never have dragged you into this..."

"Why did you do it?" Carla asked, quietly. The question had been on her mind ever since she found out the truth.

"Call you?"

"No... Cover for her."

Michelle shrugged. She'd asked herself that question over and over again as she lay awake at night.

"I guess I thought Vicky had more to lose." She stated. It was true. That night, Michelle believed she had lost everything. Her future with Robert had been destroyed, and she didn't think she had anything left.

"Oh, Chelle..."

"Carla, lying to you was by far the worst thing I've ever done. There were so many times I nearly told you the truth, but then I'd just think of Vicky and the baby and I couldn't..."

"Chelle, it's okay. I understand."

They sat in silence for a few moments, fingers linked, enjoying each other's company.

"How are Ryan and Ali?" Michelle asked, nervous of the response.

"Blaming themselves." Carla answered, truthfully. Michelle sighed.

"You'll take care of them, won't you? When I..."

"If you." Carla corrected. "Chelle, it won't come to that..."

"But it might, Carla. It's aiding and abetting a murderer. I could go down for life. I need to know you'll take care of them."

"Of course I will. But the jury will see it as self defence, I promise you..."

"She stoved his head in, Carla, and I let her do it..." She whispered, the fearful look returning to her eyes.

"But only after he attacked you."

Carla had been trying desperately to stay positive and to keep morale up among the family. But everyone, including Michelle herself, believed that this was it for her. It was like they'd already given up. But Carla wasn't going to let her go without a fight.

"I don't think I can do this..." She muttered.

"What?"

"Stand up in court and drop you in it."