Chapter One | Shim

The fog slowed them. Shim brought his horse to the edge of the field, away from the other soldiers. He looked across the moor, taking in his surroundings. The cool breeze made his black hair play across his cheek. The heavy brown and maroon fabric of his clothes kept him warm, while the thin but powerful blade resting at his hip kept him prepared. Shim felt agitated, wanting the army to proceed.

A movement caught his eye, and his hand slipped to the handle of his sword. The thing moved through the reeds like a snake, a large snake. Shim watched carefully, bracing himself for attack or warning.

The serpent leveled up to him just out of reach of his sword. The tan scales of its underbelly glistened and contrasted against the black on its back. It reared its huge head as though preparing to attack. Shim readied his sword.

It opened its mouth and spoke. “Save her from the Darkness. Find the demon boy.”

Shim snarled, undaunted by the display. He raised his sword to attack, but the monster disappeared. He scanned the fog, alert. Somewhat in the distance, he saw a particularly dark spot that didn't feel quite right.

He spurred his horse to action. Shim sped towards the darkness, and the troubling feeling in his gut. When his horse resisted, he knew he was heading for danger, but didn't turn back.

A scream pierced the gloom, a young, feminine scream. Shim became possessed with the need to save her.

Save her from the Darkness...

Until now, he had never believed in signs.

A patch of white, the source of the scream. Shim was only five feet away by the time he saw her clearly. She was running, clutching something to her chest.

“Give me your hand!” Shim shouted, feeling the Darkness on his back, constricting his lungs. The girl glanced back, startled, and tripped because of it. Shim caught her arm as she fell and hauled her onto his horse.

She was shaking; he held her close to protect her and veered from the path of the Darkness. His horse moved faster, finally allowed to get away from the fear. Shim felt the Darkness getting closer... closer...

The army was in sight. Some of the fog had cleared on that side of the moor, and spectators waved torches, trying to see what was going on. Shim urged his horse faster, the Darkness almost at his heels.

They crossed an invisible threshold to the welcoming light, and the Darkness fell away, dissipated as thought it had never existed.

Panting, Shim let the girl off his horse. She still looked shaken; he couldn't blame her. He felt a cold grip in him, but only an echo of the original Darkness.

“Hasheem!” a voice called from the oncoming crowd. “Son, what happened?”

Shim climbed off his horse as the general appeared. He eyed the girl, but preferred to take care of his horse first. His father's hand landed on Shim's shoulder and forced him to look at him. Out of his peripheral vision, Shim saw a stable-boy herding his horse away.

“What happened?” the general asked again.

Shim, stalling for some answer, pulled the girl closer. “Are you okay?” He could tell his father was angry at him for not listening to him.

“I... I'm not sure...” the girl said. She looked up. Dazzling blue eyes met Shim's “You... you saved me.”

Shim paused. He had never seen such pure, beautiful eyes. He couldn't help feel the need to brush the white hair out of the way.

Something stirred in the girl's gray shirt, drawing thee pairs of eyes. The girl gently pulled a white creature free. Suddenly all her concern was directed toward the baby fox.