;Trust;

The loud ring echoed through the apartment

The loud ring echoed through the apartment. (Y/N) could still hear it in her ears. The pencil in her hand hovered above her newest drawing as she sat on the floor in her living room and stared at her door.

Maybe if she didn't answer they would go away?

It had been days since she decided to stay at "home" for once and now she wasn't willing to leave it anymore. Or let anyone in.

Her doorbell rang again, making her jump slightly in surprise. Why was the person so persistent? Who would have wanted to visit someone like her? The cold breeze from underneath the door made her legs shiver against the floor, which were only covered in shorts. Goosebumps formed on her arms as she slowly put her pencil next to the paper.

Another ring caused the (H/C) haired to stand up quicker than she intended to.

„Seriously? You didn't die in there, did you?", a muffled voice came from behind the door. Realizing that she did, in fact, expect someone, her legs carried herself automatically. „Ugh, come on. I'm gonna come in myself if you don't open", now he knocked frantically, trying to catch her attention. She hurried to take her keys and opened the door only for Frank to immediately invade her personal space.

„Why did it take you so long?", he gripped her shoulders with his gloved hands and stared her down, his mask not being in his face as he probably left it in the realm. „I...", she wasn't sure if the words were stuck in her throat or if she just didn't know what to say. Her (E/C) eyes traveled behind him to the open door.

The snow covered the whole ground, leaving only a few spaces where you could make out the concrete or the grass from human footprints. The trees were stripped down from their leaves, making a place for crows to stalk her better. Even though no other soul was outside, the younger girl still felt watched especially with Frank so close to her. The cold nagged at her exposed skin but the heat in her cheeks made her forget about the outside temperatures.

„I was busy, I guess", she answered in a quiet voice while going behind the Legion leader to close the door. „Why'd you ask?"

Pulling his hood down, Frank stepped into her living room. „I mean, something could have happened."

She focused on his shoes which brought dirt into her house and inquired to know what could have possibly happened to get him this concerned. However, she quickly forgot about her own question as she remembered the mess she left behind when she went to answer the door.

„I don't know like-", turning around to her again, Frank shook his head and averted his gaze to the side. „Just never mind."

Following his eyes to one of her shelves, there was his knife neatly placed into a small glass cabinet. „Well, you told me to take care of it, so...", the younger girl quickly tried to justify herself without there even being a reason to do so. His look wasn't one of judgment but more like amusement.

Waiting for a response, she peered to see any kind of facial reaction. However, his expression stayed the same, not meeting her eyes. Only for him to crack a smile immediately afterward and let out a deep chuckle.

„Yeah, I told you to take care of yourself and treat that like your first born. I hope that's not the kind of relationship you had with your parents", crossing his arms in front of his chest, he followed her figure as she made her way to her drawing again.

Sitting down again, she picked up her pencil to continue her sketch although she wasn't sure if she could do it right now with a distraction like Frank, who in return seated himself opposite from her.

„Not directly, I guess", she looked up again to catch every single reaction, „I was never locked up but-."

Biting her tongue subconsciously, the younger girl decided this was the best part to stop talking. There were so much bundled feelings and thoughts which were ready to just be spilled like tea, but there was sure a better listener than Frank.

There was truth that craved nothing more than to escape like a hostage. A craving so strong like (Y/N)'s desire for socialization. But just like the young girl locked herself inside, the reality covered itself in half-truths to not show its ugly facade.

(Looks like (Y/N)'s philosophy class only really paid out in her mind)

Lucky her, Frank didn't seem to want pressing any further as he studied her drawing instead. Suddenly, the younger girl felt self-conscious about her "talent". Although, she was content with the sketch a few minutes ago, now she only spotted the ugly parts. The disproportion, the false shading and the lack of realism.

„Looks good."

By this point, the (H/C) haired couldn't stop staring. She had to make sure he wasn't lying unlike her. „You really think so?"

Frank nodded while he leaned against the wall, looking her directly into her (E/C) eyes.

Just take the compliment.

„No", shaking her head she looked down again, „I made a lot of mistakes with this one. Should probably start over again."

Frank clicked his tongue and rolled his eyes. „Just take the fucking compliment. Can you stop talking about yourself so lowly?"

Could he read her mind? Or was it just that her thinking was logical and everybody would think that way?

Muttering an 'I'm trying', she refrained herself from staring again.

Why was his approval so important to her? But more importantly, why did everything he said make sense? Someone like him, a killer, couldn't possibly care for another human, right? Or so she thought. But even though he would reserve to mocking her from time to time, he still showed acts of kindness. At least, that's how it looked like.

But he said his reasons were petty, so that wouldn't mean anything good. (Y/N) had to find out if his caring behavior was only to benefit himself or if she could actually... was trust even the right word?

 was trust even the right word?

The Escapists On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara