Chapter 2

Hey guys! This chapter is where things start to get interesting, so I hope you guys enjoy! Thanks for reading :)

Sapphire's POV

I woke up feeling as if I wasn't alone in the room anymore. My hunter instincts from the years past immediately took over and I forgot where I was. Jumping off the bed quickly, I slightly crouched, trying to figure out what was going on. It was then I noticed Mandy over by my dresser, looking at me in surprise.

I smiled meekly at her, "Hey you. You surprised me." I tried to play off the situation with nonchalance. I was so glad I hadn't done anything drastic like grab her and hold her down. With my instincts trained as they were, it was surprising I didn't, but whatever the reason was I was glad.

Mandy continued to stare at me, open-mouthed. "Whoa Sapph! Where'd you get skills like that from?" She asked, seemingly in awe of my ability. I laughed at her, knowing that she had no idea what I was capable of anymore.

"Just picked up a few skills over the years," I responded, smiling at her and looking to what she was doing. "What are you doing in here?" I asked, trying to change the topic.

It clearly worked because her face lit up with excitement and she grabbed me my the shoulders, jumping up and down. Mandy had always been larger than life, easily excited by the smallest things, and I was glad to see that hadn't changed.

"There's a party tonight for you Sapph, and I've been trying to pick out an outfit for you! Something cute and girly, none of that all black stuff you've been wearing," she said referring to my black jeans, and black tank top. Little did she know that what I was wearing had been my standard outfit for the past few years.

I focused on the first part of her statement rather than the last part. "What do you mean there's a party for me?" I asked slowly, praying that I had just heard her wrong.

"Well obviously we can't just keep you to ourselves! Other people have missed you too! So Dad and I decided to throw a welcome back party for you. Everyone in the pack is invited, you'll be able to catch up with everyone, and you'll finally be able to meet the new Alpha!" Her eyes widened with excitement, and she shrieked towards the end, in a typical Mandy way.

"Are you serious?" I asked in disbelief, unable to believe that in just one day I was going to be thrown back into pack life. I knew I was going to have to face everyone at some point, I just hadn't realized it would be so soon. I hated the unexpected, and a small ball of anxiety built up in my stomach.

It was hard enough just seeing Uncle Al and Mandy after so many years and facing their reactions. I didn't know how to face anyone else or what they would say. My inner turmoil must have shown on my face since Mandy grabbed my hands reassuringly.

"It's all going to be fine Sapph! I promise you're going to enjoy yourself once it's all over. Everyone really did miss you, and you'll see that nothing has changed. You'll fit right in, just like old times. Besides, you need to meet the Alpha to ask for permission to stay with us. Not that he'll say no, but you know pack rules and all," she said in all one breath, squeezing my hands.

She then walked over to my closet, and threw the doors open, immediately sifting through the clothes hanging in there. "No...no...no..." she glanced over at me, looked me up and down, and then continued sifting, "won't fit...too short...eww..hmm, might work!" She walked over to me again, held up a red dress to me, shook her head mumbling to herself and then walked back over to the closet.

"Sheesh Sapph. You need a major closet makeover! I know, we'll go shopping tomorrow! That way we'll find you clothes that will actually fit," she kept on talking, not even noticing that I was still standing where she had left me. I winced at the mention of shopping. Out of all the things I had missed when I was away, shopping definitely wasn't one of them. Especially not shopping with Mandy.