Chapter 2: The Journey Begins

After giving into Bryan's wishes, Drina found herself in a bit of a quandary. What exactly was Bryan referring to when he spoke of his organization? Drina figured it was some sort of amateur crime ring, populated by a handful of skilled pickpockets. Or, perhaps, it involved the smuggling of valuable commodities like rubies, gold, or diamonds. No, what Bryan was referring to was something much more ubiquitous, and even more treacherous. It was the selling of information. Or, as Bryan referred to it as, the trading of "whispers." Whatever that meant.

Despite this odd realization, Drina decided to hold fast to her decision. It's not like she had anything better to do, and maybe she could earn enough money from this job so that she could start anew. Maybe somewhere warmer and exotic like the sky-blue waters of Dorne. Father always did speak wonders about his times spent in the south and in Essos. No. He's gone now. For all intents and purposes, Drina preferred to imagine he was at the bottom of the sea. At least then he wouldn't have betrayed his family. Drina thought of the possibility of going to the Wall to see her brother Grenn. Thoughts of her old life quickly snuffed out that possibility. Aye but then I'd have to tell him the truth. Better to live in blissful ignorance. Then Drina remembered once more she was alone in this world. We need each other. He's my brother and all I have left. All that's important anyways. Yet still, Drina thought she may want to go as far away from Westeros as possible. Someplace well-respected in Essos like Bravos or Volantis, or even somewhere mysterious with occult practices like Asshai. Honestly, any place away from the ruins of her home and the pain that remains would be suitable.

At first light, Drina and Bryan set off to head to the local meeting hideout that housed the other members of the "organization." The two, being without horses, were forced to make the journey on foot, but that didn't bother Bryan very much and Drina even less so since her life as a peasant didn't afford her the luxury of a mare or stallion of her own. The sun was just beginning to poke through the lush greenery of the forest when Drina worked up enough courage to ask her burning questions.

"So, how long have ya been in this organization, Bryan?" asked Drina as she trudged through the wet mud that constantly coated the grounds of the Riverlands.

"All my life really," answered Bryan pacing with an experienced stride. "I mean, it's all I know. My big brother Connor joined when I was a little lad, and I guess I'm in the family business."

"Family business?" questioned Drina with confused green eyes. "Do ya parents approve of this sort of thing?"

Bryan frowned for the first time since Drina had known him. His thick, oak-colored eyebrows furrowed inward, displaying sorrow in his brown orbs. Drina felt ashamed to have made him feel so upset.

"I...I don't remember much of my parents. They passed away a long ways back," Bryan admitted tilting his head downward towards the spongy mud. Great I've upset the only person who's been kind to me since...since it happened.

"Bryan," said Drina as she took a few extra steps to stand in front of Bryan. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know. My family is...gone too."

"Really?" Asked Bryan raising his face upward, so that brown eyes met emerald ones.

"Aye, it happened just three fortnights past," said Drina. "It was the damn Mountain and his Lannister gang of brutes. They slaughtered my entire village. I lost all I've ever known that day."

"Ya entire village? I couldn't imagine," said Bryan in deep contemplation. "No one made it out?"

Drina paused. "No one except me," said Drina with a far-off look. Everyone who mattered to me is gone.

Drina thought hard for a moment. She had seen the mangled corpses of her family and friends that unspeakable night. Everyone she had ever known and loved, in pools of their own blood, and some even with limbs and scraps of flesh detached. Drina narrowly escaped the Mad Dog's wrath. The infamous night of the massacre, she was in the cellar searching for a spare kitchen pot when she heard the fighting begin. Like a coward scared of her own shadow, she hid in a dark corner. What Pa told me to do. I should've never listened to that man.

By the time Drina left the cellar, it was all over. She arose from her hideout and scurried upstairs. She was horrified to discover family and friends lying flat on their back, faces displaying the final moments of horror they had experienced. Their bodies had begun to turn, the muscles and joints of those most dear to her cold to the touch and beginning to stiffen and lock into place. Father wasn't there. And neither was his sword. Drina didn't know what that meant. The stench was unforgettable to Drina and haunted her dreams every night. Blood, sweat, and fear. Outside her small home, the crows and vultures had already begun their feast on the once living.

Drina left that night, and since then, she has barely been able to live with the guilt that surviving this tragedy caused her. But she didn't tell Bryan all of this, however. Frankly, she wasn't sure if she could ever tell anyone the details of the Mountain and the Lannisters' savagery. It's best no one knows. I can't stand to see their eyes reflect the pity and sorrow I feel every day.

"I'm so sorry, Drina," said Bryan as he reached towards her to place a warm hand to her shoulder.

"Well, it's not all lost for me, now that I think about it," said Drina while wiping a tear from her cheek.

"What d'ya mean, Drina?" asked Bryan.

"Well, my older brother Grenn left to take the Black a fortnight before any of that happened," said Drina cheering up a bit. "He didn't want to go," admitted Drina. "They forced him to go for stealing a loaf and chicken from some lordling's lands. But, he can't leave to visit me, and I've no idea how I could ever make it there on my own—it's too far," said Drina as she began to tear up once more. "It may for the best. I don't think I could hurt him by telling him what happened."

"No, no, no don't cry, Drina," reassured Bryan as he took it upon himself to gently wipe away her tears with a scrap of material from his satchel. "I'm sure there's a way one of the master's missions could send ya there."

"The master?" asked Drina daring to have hope.

"Aye, ya know the head of the organization," said Bryan gesturing animatedly with his hands. "My big brother Connor has it in good with him and I'm sure if I asked him to, he would be able to get ya a mission up at the Wall."

"You would do that for me Bryan?" asked Drina in open disbelief.

"Of course. How could I not? It's the least I could do." said Bryan ecstatic to be of service to someone. "But, you'd have to complete a few preliminary missions to make sure ya can handle the job."

"Preliminary?" Drina outwardly wondered cheering up slightly. "That's an awful fancy word for a commoner.

"Who ya callin' commoner, eh?!" shouted Bryan as he put on his best exaggerated Flea Bottom slum accent.

"Oh you're too much, Bryan," said Drina shaking her head and wiping away the last remnants of tears.

The pair continued their amiable conversation the whole way to the secret hideout, where Drina would find out just what it takes to become a "little bird" as Bryan puts it.