Turncoat

"You're surrounded", Katie's voice barely cuts through the ringing in my ears. "Get out of the car, now!"

I cast a glance at Freeman. He meets it with a grim, bloodied smile. "They say, you're not one to leave survivors, Rivera."

My lip twitches. "True", I confirm.

If he has expected to hear anything else, he doesn't let it show. He simply cocks his head. "Well then. Luckily, I'll be negotiating with your friend."

He pushes himself back into his seat and grabs me, roughly hauling me onto his lap. With one hand, he pushes the car door open. Pain flares through my body, when his arm meets my bruised ribcage, and I barely suppress a yelp.

"Sorry", he whispers into my hair. The gun he presses to the back of my head deprives this word of any sincerity. "Out. Slowly. Before me"

Gingerly, I try to move my feet. My muscles react, feebly and weakly, but moving nonetheless. I swing my legs outside. "Not sure if I can stand", I warn. Rather not get shot in the head for collapsing.

Freeman's arm wraps around my chest in reply. He avoids the bruise this time. I smirk.

"I'm Corporal Lucas Freeman", he shouts. "Coming out now. I have Rivera. I want to negotiate. Don't shoot."

He half pushes, half lifts me out in front of him. Katie and three of the others have encircled the car and point their guns at us. Behind them, I see the kids being led out of the bus, yellow and white overalls bright against the darkness. I almost can't help a grin. They're free now. We got what we came for.

Katie's gaze searches mine, and I give her a short nod. I'm fine.

"What do you want, Freeman?", she calls.

Free passage, is my guess. Would I grant it to him? Yes. Would I shoot him in the back? Probably. He's a soldier, after all. Five minutes of having a conscience can't outweigh ten years of working for the Council.

"I want to join the resistance", he says, his voice calm as if he were reading the news.

In reflex, I spin my head around. I need to see his face, see if he's up for some weird joke. He clicks his tongue at my movement and nudges my head back forward with his gun.

"Well", Katie says dryly. "That's new." She considers him with a frown. "And if we don't take you up in our ranks, you shoot our friend? Interesting line of argumentation."

"Ma'm, I have just shot and killed two of my comrades and my commanding officer to defend these prisoners. I can't really go back to them, I'm afraid. All I ask is for you to consider my suggestion, before Rivera shoots me." He throws aside his gun. "I surrender."

His other hand releases his hold of me, and he raises both arms to the sides. I stagger forward. Katie steps in to catch me on her shoulder, before I can tumble to the ground.

"Cuff him and gag him", she commands. "We'll take him back to base. We'll discuss the rest once we're out of here."

I prop myself up on her and turn around to face Freeman. "You know my vote", I say.

Katie scoffs. I feel a sharp pull at my wrists when she cuts the ties around my hands. "I do. Is it true what he says, though? About saving the kids?"

"Yeah."

Freeman looks at me, while he's being pushed down, arms bent behind his back. There's some challenge in his gaze, some contentment, and the slightest hint of a smile.

"Good thing then that you don't get to decide alone", Katie states from the side. "Come on, Ali. Let's get these kids to safety."