Chapter 5 - Wondering Eyes

Start from the beginning

I check my clutch for my phone and note that I've left it in my room next to my laptop where I synced the playlist I used to get ready. Well, I'm enjoying myself. "Be more in the moment", I quietly whispered to myself.

"In the moment, huh?" as I felt the spot next to me sink in on the couch. Caught off guard by his presence all I can do is sheepishly smile while my cheeks heat up. He hands me what looks to be some sort of Daiquiri. I could use some ice to cool down round about now...

"Thanks, this is just what I needed." I take a massive sip and he laughs at my urgency. "What? I've been dying for a drink all week and this is soo good", I take another two big sips.

Sandra wanted to get some shots and took my hand as she passed me, I was more than happy to oblige and jumped off the couch. We skipped like two school girls to the bar and ordered two tequilas. Finally feeling the alcohol's calming effects I decided to run with it and ordered two more. Now regretting these jeans on this super hot summer night in one of Melbourne's finest, I air out my shirt as much as I can without flashing any Techies.

"Careful there missy wouldn't want any of the mechanics to get the wrong impression of you, now would you?" The breath from his words hit my neck, a chill down my back has me shiver and then he laughs coming into view in front of me.

"Or the right one?" I say with a cheeky wink. Wait. What? Who am I? Definitely, need to cut down on those shots. This makes him laugh even louder.

"Oooh, feisty!" He grabbed his bottom lip with his top row of teeth on the F and it made me imagine what it would be like to be the one biting that plump bottom lip.

He must've caught me staring because his next question caught me off guard, "How much have you had to drink Lex?"

"What? Why?" I tuck my hair behind my ears to try and neaten up my appearance.

"No reason, we should get you back to your room." He puts both hands on either one of my shoulders to turn me around right into Mike who was holding a beer in one hand and Daiquiri in the other, intended for me no doubt.

"Where are you off to Lex? The party was just getting started around here and you're way too sober! " I looked to Daniel

"So you're the culprit to blame for this" he waves his hand up and down me lengthways, he doesn't look impressed at all. "Arnt you supposed to be going through statistics and shit?"

"Don't you worry Dan, everything is sorted for tomorrow, we expect some good data for the books from your sessions with the car today," Mike replied without a stutter. "This, on the other hand,'' he motioned to me, in the same manner, Dan did just a minute ago "is all her."

"Is that so?" Daniel asked me as I stared at them both in shock.

"Yeah well if my boyfriend would just answer his damn phone and stop being such an asshole maybe I wouldn't feel the need to get trashed my first night out with the team! Now could you both stop blabbering on about whose fault it is and stop trying to get me back to my room. I'm a big girl I can do both of those things without anyone's help," and with that, I pushed past both of them, but not before grabbing my drink from Mike's hand and walking over to Sandra's table.

Extremely pissed off and only slightly embarrassed about the information I just vomited out to two strangers, I decided now was a good time to dance. Just as she had done to me to get some shots, I grabbed Sandra's hand and made a run for the dancefloor. After a couple of songs, the music turned slow and I hardly noticed the tears that started to fill my eyes until I couldn't see out of them anymore. I need to get back to my room. No one can see me like this.

I looked for Sandra or Dan or Mike to say goodbye, but none of them are anywhere to be seen and I need to go before I'm a complete mess.

Thank goodness for the taxi drivers that still exist beyond Uber, I make eye contact with the guy and make my way over to his car that's parked just a couple of meters away from the club's entrance.

"Alexia!"

"What is it now Daniel?"

"Where are you going?" He's gotten closer, I turn around and he's right behind me. The taxi driver hoots. I turn around and motion for him to wait for me.

"I'm going home", wiping my face as a tear slips.

"My car is just over there, let me drive you", I walk over to the driver and tell him I've got a ride and thank him. Daniel waits until it's safe to cross the road and takes my hand while we cross. The small touch pulls at my heart and another tear falls. Quickly I wipe it away and get in the passenger side that Daniel has opened for me.

The drive was short and silent. We're in the elevator and my sniffing is all you can hear. "Wanna talk about it?"

"No, I just need to shower and get into bed."

"Sure."

I get off my floor and say goodnight before the doors close. Once inside I try calling Ryan one more time before I get into bed and of course, it just goes to voicemail. Absolute bullshit! I'm so done with today. I'm well overdue for a good night's sleep.

My phone beeps next to me and I quickly check it.

I'm sorry you had a bad night, I'm here to talk if you need me - Daniel

A/N: Thanks for the support so far you guys
Thought I'd add a mid-week update.

1st in #ricciardo - that's pretty damn cool. Please don't forget to vote and follow me for updates 😘