Chapter 5 - Wondering Eyes

Start from the beginning

I'm in the process of choosing my outfit for the team supper tonight, Jerome Stoll - Renault's President believes in a family orientated company so this will be a ritual at the start of every race weekend. I have a red shirt with white stripes, high neck with jeans or a white long sleeve blouse slits to the wrists and a low neckline with a white collar around the neck and the same pair of jeans.

I decide to go with the white, the neckline might be a little too much for a work event, but Mike mentioned that we might go out for a drink afterwards so at least I won't have to go back to the hotel to change again. I pair the outfit with a pair of champaign sandals that have a small decent sized heel. My hair is loose flowing around my shoulders, light makeup and lip gloss. Happy with the result I try calling Ryan one more time. Voicemail. Whatever

Was I late? I'm sure they said 6 pm and it's only 5:35 now..? Everyone is already seated around the table that the waitress showed me to and they're all watching me in anticipation. "Am I late?" I ask with a small smile on my face to cover the uneasy feeling of being the centre of attention.

"Not in the slightest, Darlin" Daniel's accent catches my attention. "This was supposed to be my night, but I thought it wouldn't be fair to leave the newbie out." I smile and bite my tongue to keep myself from swearing at him for embarrassing me. The rest of the team are all laughing at his quick humour.

A seat is open next to Mike, an engineer to my left - I think her name is Sandra, Nico right in front of me and Daniel to his right. I give Daniel the evil eye and greet everyone I can within hearing. "So this was your idea, was it?" I ask the tanned creature across from Mike.

"Well no, I already had my welcoming" he replies smiling like a goofball.

"The team thought it would be nice if we did something special for you since everyone else has experienced it in some or other form" Mike butts in from my side, bumping my shoulder with his and adding a sneaky wink. I giggle and stick out my tongue at him, which doesn't go unnoticed by Nico who has his eyebrow raised and mentally giving me the 5th degree and sternly reminding me of my current living situation. I kick his feet under the table and mouth "what?" while he pretends to be hurt and outraged.

"That's quite a nice outfit you have on Alexia" Nic mentions matter of factly, what is he up to? Feeling playful I see how far I can push it before he threatens to tell my brother..."Thanks, Nic, I like it quite a bit myself." I run my fingers down the hem of my very deep V neckline of my shirt. I notice Mike and Dan's eyes tracking my movements, but don't look in either of their directions. I'm focused on Nico who is about to say something in 3.. 2.. 1

"I'm telling Jamie!" He yells just loud enough for the entire table to start laughing at him.

"5-year-olds they are,'' I mutter rolling my eyes at the familiarity of the situation.

"Six, remember" Daniel interrupts and for the first time during this whole scenario I look at him, there's this little twinkle in his eye and once again I feel butterflies getting caught in my ribcage.

"Sorry, six. My mistake kids" I say with my mommy voice.

Dinner was incredible, only the best of the best for our team and conversation around everyone's expectations for the weekend was flowing. Daniel was uncharacteristically quiet, while Nico sat staring between myself and Mike all throughout the meal. Soon it was time for next part of the evening, the thing I was looking most forward to plus I was getting tired of feeling like my father was about to send me to my room at any second. Mike lead me out of the restaurant and into the team's shuttle. We would all drive through to the bar together.

It was an upscale place with the VIP section booked out for the team. Crystal chandeliers and gold finishes on all the tables. I sat down on one of the lush white couches that honestly, I wish I had just one at my place - our place. Damit. Ryan.