Chapter 4: Orphan Man

Magical children were often, Harry'd learnt from listening in on his parents' discussions, taught the basics at home, before being shipped off to Hogwarts at eleven. James and Sirius were both all for that model, but Lily was firm about wanting Harry to get some socialisation with other non-magical children by attending the local muggle primary.

"You remember what happened the last time he spent time with magical children," Lily reminded her husband when James tried to say they could invite over some of the adults they knew with kids, if it was socialisation she was worried about.

James snorted. "What? He went were-child and scared the kid shitless?"

"Language, James!"

Given that the conversation was taking place after Harry and his brothers had been tucked in, he thought the admonition somewhat unnecessary, but expected his mother was just trying to call his father out about his cursing any time she caught him.

James sighed, and Lily quietly pointed out, "He's a squib, and you know how magical children react to that. Give him the chance to make friends that won't see his inability to use magic as a sign that he's worthless."

"Okay, Lils. We'll try it your way."

They'd had to fake a paper trail to make sure Harry could start in September, but it wasn't a hard task when you could use magic. So, on the second of September, Harry found himself standing outside the Godric's Hollow primary with Remus and Lily – each burdened with one of his younger brothers – saying goodbye for the day. He didn't make a fuss, resigned to the forced education, but Will was practically inconsolable, and Harry felt for his godfather.

Harry motioned for Remus to kneel and, when he had, gently poked Will's nose. Will's eyes crossed a bit, still tear-filled, and Harry leant in to kiss his forehead, then pressed a finger to his lips.

"Secret?" Will whimpered.

Harry shook his head and brushed his thumb over a line of tears.

Will slumped back in Remus' arms. "Don't wanna go," he insisted.

Harry nodded in understanding, then firmed his expression and pointed between Chris and Will.

Will blinked, confused for a moment, before his eyes widened. "I protect Chris!" he declared.

Harry grinned and nodded.

Will wiggled in Remus' arms, trying to get a better look at where Chris was dozing in Lily's arms. "Muma, I'm protecting Chris. My job."

Lily smiled in relieved understanding. "Okay, but you can't protect him if you're crying."

Will scrubbed his hands against his cheeks. "Not crying! Protector!"

'Thank you,' Remus mouthed as he stood again.

Harry just grinned at him and waved before turning to head into the school.

However, school proved to be far more of a strain than anyone had expected, what with Harry's vow of silence. He butted heads with his teacher right at the start, when he refused to say his name or talk about himself. The other kids didn't seem bothered by his silence, perfectly content to fill it with their own chatter and screeching, but the teacher was clearly displeased.

He let himself be talked into playing house with a couple of girls, and tossed a ball around with a group of boys during their outside time after lunch. He followed directions to the letter, so long as no one was trying to make him talk, and was generally friendly and polite to everyone.

He waved to his new friends as they all parted ways at the gate, searching through the gathered adults for the one(s) they called theirs.

"Harry!" Will shouted before barrelling into his stomach.