The Two Minutes that Change Everything

Everyday is a challenge to face. Oppositions are there all the time. The cruel society is there to dictate what is in and out, what’s acceptable or not. But when you have God by your side, you can face it all. Cerebral Palsy… what is it? It is a disorder that changes my life. I was called by many names. Some are acceptable; others are not and pierced my heart. Every mimic buries inside. I just said to myself, they don’t know me because they are so curious.

I've been told that difference going to hinder me to fulfill my dreams and ambitions in life. But they were mistaken. My aspirations in life have been materialize one by one. Although in life we can’t have it all, I am pretty sure that life will give me surprises I never expected. I was born to be different. I have cerebral palsy and I am thankful for that. There are still challenges to face but I see the positive sides in every trials God has given me.

The cause of my cerebral palsy was the 2 minutes of not crying when I was born. The effects of my cerebral palsy showed when I was just little, merely 2 years old. I never crawled. I was diagnosed when I was seven and life isn't the same. I handled every judgment that the cruel society gives. I was loved by my family and friends so the balanced is there.

I have a happy childhood. I played what the other children were playing, running, hopping, and the like. I was with my grandmother in San Pablo City, Laguna for almost 17 years because of my differences. Mom and Dad with my siblings visited once in awhile but that does not hindered me in feeling the love of my parents. When I first went to school I was never treated as a disabled child. I was encouraged to join extra-curricular activities until grade two. I began to see the differences when I was in grade three. I can still remember the one who laughed at me and said “are you really going to dance?” So I began to be conscious but those hardships will never hinder me. As I elevate one step per year in Escuela de Valle Verde, I am excelling by the help of God. I am consistently on the list of honors and was awarded per quarter. Although I was never number 1, I thank God that I advanced with honors. Every Christmas and New Year, I spent it with my family. But Dad left the country to pursue his calling as a tent maker and a professional engineer.

 Highschool has been memorable. Greenville academy, located near escuela de valle verde,  I enjoyed every single day learning. Bullies were everywhere but I thanked them for my strong personality. I cried, I fought for my right as a person. I experienced my first crush and spent time day dreaming. I thought of every infatuation as love and it is quite normal. I don’t really have difficulties in understanding lessons such as biology, geography, chemistry, and even top my math classes. I love math unlike a typical student. JS proms weren't that exciting coz it will only mean one thing, the loveless me. I am a geek and I admit it. I love reading books. I finished highschool with flying colors and received two awards. I received the 5th honorable mention medal and a certificate of excellence.

I heard that one suggested my parents not to give me a chance to go to college. The reason would be I won't be able to work after college. But my parents stand firm and gave me the chance to go to a university. I went to AMA Computer University in Binan laguna and at last spent time with my parents and siblings. I took up Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. That certified me as a geek. I excelled after my first year of college. I got my first dean’s list certificate and became a campus giant. My influence showed my leadership in projects, group theses, and school organizations. Although on my last days in college, I experienced one of the most difficult challenges I ever faced, I surpassed it and graduated.

I have tried every means to have work but no one listened. No company has ever tried my talent. Every time I applied for a job, I ended up shaken. Shaken by the fact that judgmental people exists. So I just minister to a church. I am there whenever there is a ministry work. From medical missions to fellowships I was present.

Now I manage our own business. Every time I looked back, I just smile at myself and say I made it. I proved to them that no disability can hinder anyone who dreams big and trust the Lord.

Hoping to fall in love, have my own family and start a happy life. Dreams do come true... we just need a leap of Faith. :)