Intent on his story, I moved to sit on the other side of the couch, Derek following to stand behind me.

"I had wanted a brother, of course, but the minute my parents showed her to me, I loved her. I was her big brother, her protector. She couldn't do many things on her own, but I took her with me to play every day," he smiled fondly at the memories before that sorrow filled his eyes again. "I had just turned ten, Giulia mere months away from turning six, when my mother had Luca. Everyone was so focused on the new baby that nobody noticed how weak she had become."

He steadied himself before continuing. "She'd been sick, a few months before Luca arrived. And when she got sick again, she was too weak to fight it. We lost her a month before her sixth birthday."

My throat choked up as I watched Samuele hesitantly reach out to take my hand in his own. His eyes looked into mine and the pain I had seen in them earlier now matched the pain I still felt in my soul.

"I know how it feels to have a sister ripped away from you, with no warning, no explanation. To see her face everywhere you go," Sam spoke slowly, from the heart. "And if you ever need to share that burden with someone who understands...I am here."

My lips wobbled, tears threatening to fall as I managed to nod and squeeze his hand in thanks. I had never even heard of his sister, much less her death. I wondered to myself how Queen Nicoletta and King Antonio managed to move past that pain, while my parents still dwelled in their sorrows.

I felt Derek's gentle touch on my arm and leaned into it, willing myself not to cry. Samuele cleared his throat, blinking away tears of his own as he stood up from the couch.

"I suppose we should keep ourselves scarce. Wouldn't want any of the other ladies to see us here," Sam straightened his collar before wrapping an arm around Liana's waist, more to anchor himself than anything. "Anything we need to prepare ourselves for?"

"Genevieve's wrath," Liana mused louder than she intended.

Sam blanched and gave her an incredulous stare. "Her wrath? What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the fact that she's in love with you! Unless, you didn't know," Liana's eyes narrowed as she looked up at the italian prince's disbelieving expression. "Don't try and act like you didn't know."

"I'm not acting. I had no idea," Samuele exclaimed, his accent growing thicker as they argued. He turned to Derek. "Did you know about this?"

"I'm not getting involved," Derek held his hands up in surrender. "Your usual room is ready for the two of you, if you'd like to continue this civil conversation elsewhere."

Samuele opened his mouth, as if to protest, but Liana was already practically dragging him out the door by the ear. Derek only watched in amusement as I struggled to find the words after what had just happened. After what Sam had just revealed.

When the two of them were out of sight, Derek turned back to look at me. Once he caught sight of my expression, his handsome features softened with concern and he stepped closer. "Need some fresh air?"

I gulped and nodded slowly, glad that he knew me so well. I accepted his arm as he gently, but urgently, lead me out of my room and upstairs to the third floor. I practically knew this route by heart and my emotions eased as I recognized the familiar door we walked towards.

Soon enough we were standing outside in the small alcove on the roof of the palace, a gentle breeze blowing my hair out of my face. I breathed in and out, repeatedly, Derek rubbing comforting circles on my back.

"I didn't-I had no idea he had another sister." I spoke quietly, unsure at first if Derek could even hear me.

"Like Sam said, most people don't. His family is very private when it comes to Giulia. She was a sweet girl," he sighed and rested his elbows on the railing. "Luca was only a baby when she died, so Sam is the only one of them who has any memories of her. Her death, her story...it's his to tell. And I don't think he felt comfortable sharing that with you until...until he heard of what happened."

"Do you think he would talk to me? About Amber. Not-not that I wouldn't talk to you about it all if we...if we get married," I stammered awkwardly, stumbling over the words.

I watched as Derek bit his lip, considering his words as his eyes roamed across the palace below us and the city that stretched for miles outside of it.

"No matter what happens between you and I, Sam will be there for you. For that connection you and he have," Derek's blue eyes turned towards me. "Frankly, I think he needs to talk with you just as much as you may need to talk to him."

I nodded quietly, wishing that there wasn't so much in the air between us. Wishing that I could know, once and for all, if I was the one he wanted to marry.

Shoving aside that doubt, I intertwined my fingers with his. "I love you, Derek."

I hoped that he could hear just how much I meant the words that I said. Hoped that somehow they would be enough to prove to him that what I felt was true. Watching Liana and Sam today...I was jealous of the ease they had between each other. They didn't have to question the others feelings. Of course, they had their own obstacles. But Samuele didn't have three other girls to choose from.

Derek quietly wrapped me into his arms and pressed a soft kiss to my temple, to my lips. As if, somehow, he knew that this would be the last quiet moment between the two of us before the selection came to an end, in one way or another. Realizing that too, I clung to him tighter, as if he was the only thing anchoring me to the floor.

"I love you too, Erika," Derek replied quietly and I hung onto those words, hoping it wouldn't be the last time I heard them.

~~~

Wow deep stuff, but I can say without a doubt that that's one of my most favorite chapters that I've written in a while. I hope you enjoyed this little insight into Sam and Liana's relationship (which you can learn even more about in Another Love Story) as well as part of Sam's story in general.

Thanks for being faithful and awesome readers! Please please comment, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_