Chapter 31

A balmy breeze blew in through the open palace doors. I stood with the other selected, patiently waiting for the representatives of our various charities to arrive. Today, we'd each be giving them a tour of the palace and helping them get settled for the big day tomorrow. Tomorrow we'd each be giving our presentations at the charity ball, after which Derek and his family would choose which to become a patron of. Not only would one of us win that honor, but Derek would likely be making his final decision in the next few days.

The thought of Derek making that decision brought me shivers of anticipation, excitement, and nerves. With the arrival of spring came a monumental decision.

I'd been steadily preparing myself for the worst. That Derek wouldn't pick me and I'd be forced to pick up the pieces of my life by myself. Time would just keep moving forward and I'd have to figure out how to live without Amber, Aidan, and Derek. I didn't know how to return to a life in Kent. And I didn't know how to create a new one in Angeles.

I tried not to let myself hope too much. I held onto slivers of it, but I knew that if I believed too much it would only hurt more when Derek chose someone else.

With the aim of avoiding thinking about Derek's inevitable decision, I'd thrown myself into preparing my speech for the upcoming charity ball. Even if I left without a ring on my finger, the least I could do was try my best to give the homeless shelter the resources they so badly needed and deserved.

Suddenly the doors to the palace opened. Audrey, Eveline, and Rowan all straightened their shoulders, throwing on their most welcoming yet professional expressions. Clearly, I wasn't the only one taking this seriously.

An eclectically dressed woman bedecked with various jewelry walked arm in arm with a well-dressed young man in a tailored suit and spectacles. She approached Eveline with a gleeful smile and wrapped her in a hug while her companion shook her hand professionally.

"Lady Eveline, my wife and I are overjoyed to be here. We're incredibly grateful for the opportunity," the man, who'd introduced himself as Reed Jennings, motioned to his wife, Violet. I could have guessed merely from Violet's clothes that they were the representatives of the arts foundation Eveline had chosen to support.

"I'm overjoyed to have you here as well. I only hope that the Royal family believe in your foundation as much as I already do," Eveline answered smoothly before gracefully leading them into the palace, every bit a proper princess. My stomach churned.

While Eveline began her tour, a well-dressed and athletically built man who appeared to be in his mid thirties approached Rowan. I could barely hear their conversation but as they passed I caught a brief glimpse of her face. Her pursed lips gave the impression that the last thing she wanted to do was give the man, Jon Samson, who appeared to be kind and friendly, a tour of the palace.

"And then there were two," Audrey said in a strangely perky voice. She'd opted for a more neutral look this morning, foregoing her usual bright red lips. She seemed lighter, more carefree, even younger in her pale blue dress. I forgot, sometimes, that she was merely a year older than me. Sometimes I felt like a child in comparison.

Before I could contemplate more on her markedly different appearance, a plump, older woman with slightly graying long hair made her way up the stairs. Audrey opened her arms for a hug and the two embraced like friends.

"Mrs. Hahn, I've missed you," Audrey pulled back slightly, a smile on her face. "It's been too long."

"It has," the woman replied before adopting a more stern tone. "And how many times do I have to tell you to call me Christina, Audrey?"

Audrey rolled her eyes playfully and made to lead her away, but Mrs. Hahn turned her focus towards me before she could.

"And you must be Lady Erika," Christina Hahn's eyes seemed to peer inside me, as if she could see every hidden secret and emotion. I fidgeted under gaze.