:Genius: Chapter Nineteen

Start from the beginning

“What?”

“I'm going to prove that love matters to you.”

“You have to have your opinion recognised, don't you?” I said annoyed.

“My opinion is usually right, so close your eyes, Dunce, and I'll prove it to you.” He smirked arrogantly, making my insides lurch in annoyance. I opened my mouth to protest when he put his finger on my lips. “Do it, idiot.” I sighed and shut my eyes.

He pushed me into a broom closet.

“What-!”

“Shh.” He hushed me immediately. I felt hot blood rush to my cheeks. I tried so hard to pat it down, but I couldn't. That was the first time I couldn't control my body language, and thankfully it was too dark for him to notice. I could feel him so close to me, reaching up so close to my face.”

“Jane,” His breath hit my ear, causing me to give a half shiver. I stopped it too late. I heard Anton muttered something under his breath, but all I heard was his groan.

“Anton, I really don't want to be stuck in this place with you.” I hissed, embarrassed. Was he doing this to get kicks?

“Tell me why you don't like love.” He whispered. Tingles went up my spine at the last word.

“I- I don't -don't not like love. I just- it's just – love's never been in my life like- that. I- haven't the right guy” I stumbled over my words. The feeling of not knowing the right word almost made me nauseous. My whole life is about words, why did that simple description make me fumble?

“Can't you see?” He whispered. “You're in love.” I felt my heart freeze, my throat closed up, my palms became sweaty.

“What?” I squeaked out, immediately I wished I had never spoken. I had shown my real emotion to Anton, even if it was confusion.

“Don't worry,” He mumbled, finding a piece of my stray hair in the dark and twisting it. “I'm in love, too” My heart must have thawed out, because I had a strange, heart shaped lump in my throat as he said that.

“With Natalie?” I whispered, and the tense air was broken with his laugh.

“I don't know who I'm in love with, but it certainly isn't Natalie.”

“Huh?” was my confused reply, he said he didn't know who he was in love with. How could you know you’re in love, if you don't know who you're in love with?

“Every one is in love with someone. Each day they grow more and more in love with them. That's what love at first sight is. It's finally finding the person you're in love with, after many years of growing attachments to people who could help you in the evolution department. Science and love.” He said the words with such sureness that I believed him. His Russian accent was coming through, causing him to sound more mysterious, and I'm not going to lie; sexy, than ever.

“That's so nerdy.” I whispered quietly. It wouldn't feel right to break the atmosphere. My comment made him chuckle.

“Coming from a dunce like you?”

“Shut up. What about best friends who fall in love after years of being together?”

“They're idiots. Their fear of being rejected by the person they love stops them from actually realising the first time they saw each other was life changing. A lot of people are like that, but I know that wouldn't be me. If I find the girl I love, I'm never going to let her be anything else but mine.” I felt the smile before I realised I was doing it. My lips fell out of their upwards stance into a more apathetic look.