Chapter 4

Aslan's How. It was the place where Aslan and I died and where the Stone table used to preside. It was a tomb but now it was made a fortress for the Narnians. I looked at Lucy and then back at the How. I wasn't sure what to think when we walked towards the entrance as the centaurs raised their swords creating a pathway for the Pevensies and me. I smile at all the centuars, happy to see all the Narnians back in one place. When we enter the How, I see Narnians weapons all around us. "Umm Peter, Ana, you may want to see this." Susan calls to us. She hands Peter a torch and leads us into a darker part of the How. Along the walls, carvings told the stories of when we were kings and queens before the Pevensies left. As we walked further, I placed my hand over the carving of Aslan.

"What is this place?" I asked, turning to Caspian.

"You don't know?" Caspian picks up a torch and leads us down a dark tunnel. At the end, he lights a fire and it spreads around the room, revealing carvings of Narnians and Aslan. At the center, the cracked Stone Table rests.

"I think it's up to us now." Peter says. We all stare at the carving of Aslan.

➹➹➹➹➹

Lucy and I sat on the Stone Table as the Narnians gathered around. Peter and Caspian wanted to prepare for war. One of the fauns spotted a Telmarine soldier outside of the How. "It's only a matter of time. Miraz' men and war machines are on their way. That means those same men aren't protecting his castle." Peter states. Both he and Capian are standing in the center of the room.

"What do you propose we do, Sire?" The mouse, whose name I learned was Reepicheep. Both Peter and Capian started to answer before looking at each other. Caspian nodded, letting Peter speak first.

"Our only hope is to strike them before they strike us." Caspian looked wildly at Peter.

"But that's crazy, no one has ever taken that castle." Caspain said to Peter, who looked at Caspian and shrugged.

"There's always a first time." I looked at Peter and then to Lucy. Lucy and I were thinking the same thing.

"We'll have the element of surprise." Trumpkin tells them, agreeing with Peter.

"But we have the advantage here." Capian tells them.

"If we dig in, we could probably hold them off indefinitely." Susan says. Both Peter and Caspian look at her, surprised that Susan was agreeing with Caspian.

"Look, I appreciate what you've done, but this isn't a fortress, it's a tomb." Peter said to Caspian. Peter looked at me, waiting for my support. He was right about that much.

"Yes, and if the Telmarines are smart, they'll just starve us out." I tell the Narnians, looking at Peter. He gives me a small smile before looking away. Reepicheep looks at us and holds onto the hilt of his sword.

"I think you know where I stand on this, Sire." Reepicheep tells Peter, nodding. Peter looks at one of the centaurs.

"If I can get your troops in, can you handle the guards?" The centaur looks around at then nods to Peter.

"Or die trying, my liege." Lucy and I look at each other again.

"That's what I'm worried about." Lucy speaks up and Peter looks up at her.

"What she means to say is you're all acting like there are only two options: dying here, or dying there." Peter looks at me.

"No one has to die if we do this right." Peter says.

"No, you're not listening. Or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter?" I looked at Lucy and then back at Peter.

"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough." Peter says. He looks at Lucy one last time before he looks away.

➹➹➹➹➹

We arrived at dark. Only a couple of lights shone from the castle. Most of them were probably guards. Caspian assured us that his uncle would be asleep by now. Edmund went in first, to get into position. When he landed, he used his electric torch to signal us. Peter, Susan, Caspian and I were carried by griffins into the castle. Caspian flies low and kills a soldier on the way. Another soldier notices Edmund's signals and aims his crossbow. Susan shoots him. We land and I kill a Telmarine soldier. We all climb down a wall and Caspian knocks lightly on a window. Caspian whispers something and opens the window, stepping into the study. We follow him inside, Peter helping me down, into the study. Caspian holds a pair of spectacles in his hand when he turns to us. "I have to find him."

Peter and I look at each other and then back at Caspian. "You don't have time. You have to get to the gatehouse." I tell him. "We don't have time." Caspian looks at me and then to Peter.

"They wouldn't even be here without him. And neither would I." I look at Peter, gripping Peter's hand.

"Go. We can take care of Miraz." Susan says looking at Caspian. He nods at her, both of them smiling smally at each other before Caspian runs off.

"And I can still make it to the gatehouse in time." He whisper-yells to us as he leaves the room. I look back at Peter and Susan.

"I'll go to the gatehouse in case Caspian can't make it." I tell Peter as Susan runs off. He nods and before I can run off, he kisses me passionately.

"Be safe." I nod at him and pecked his lips before running off.

I run down to the gatehouse, waiting for Edmund's sign. All I saw was a small flicker of the light and then the bells started to ring. My eyes went wide as I heard Peter yell at Ed to signal the troops. I start to open the gate. Peter appears next to me, helping me turn the wheel. "Just who exactly are you doing this for, Peter?" Susan questions Peter as she runs to us. I look at Peter, but he's too busy turning the wheel. From above, I see Edmund using the electric torch to signal the others. I watch as the Narnians run past me, drawing their weapons. Peter and I look at each other, both of us drawing our swords and charging into battle as the Telmarines come out of the castle.

"For Narnia!" Peter yells. We charge into the courtyard, and start fighting. A Telmarine soldier aims for Peter with his arrow and I slash his ankles making him fall to the floor. I throw a dagger at him and he dies. Peter looks at me and nods. I continue to fight off soldiers, but my attention drifts when I see Peter and a minotaur start fighting their way up to Miraz' balcony. The minotaur jumps and raises his weapon but one of Miraz' men kills him with an arrow. I hear Peter yell for retreat as another minotaur races to the gates, trying to hold it up. Everything around me is a rush as Narnians race to get to the gate. I watch as an arrow hit the minotaur at the gate. And then another one. I run to the minotaur just as another one flies through the air, but I step in between the arrow and the minotaur. The arrow pierces my skin but I feel nothing. Just the overwhelming feeling of darkness as my eyes shut.