seven

"ronald?"
"hermione!" his face lit up at the sight of her. she felt awsten's eyes on her back, and when she turned, she saw that his expression was alarmed, eyes flitting from her to ron and back again.
"it's okay!" she mouthed when ron's back was turned, nodding at ginny across the room. his eyes skipped around, picking out the rest of her friends, wands out and eyes wary. he relaxed, reassured of her safety.
"how are you?" he asked.
"hm, i don't know. i've been getting a lot of headaches," she said, watching closely for his reaction.
something in his expression became guarded. "really?"
"yeah. draco's been helping me out, though," she said, his name feeling odd on her tounge.
"has he?" ron asked, something in his eyes shifting at the mention of malfoy's name.
"yeah. i don't know what i would do without him," hermione said. she was obviously baiting him, and she saw blaise, the closest to her, smirk out of the corner of her eye.
"so are you two dating?" he asked, trying to keep his tone mild.
she narrowed her eyes at him. "it was you, then."
"what?"
"everyone knows about us dating. even mcgonagall. even harry."
alarmed, he said, "i don't-"
"even you. i understand that you tried to pry me apart from malfoy. so why would you pretend that you had no idea we were dating?" she pretended to think. "unless you were the one to wipe my memory."
he paled, stammering, "i-i would ne-"
"did a pretty shabby job of it, too," hermione said. she pulled out her wand and stood in one fluid motion. she felt everyone's eyes on her as she hexed ron.
he held his nose, groaning, as slugs poured out of it. awsten groaned, hurrying over with a bucket. "hermione! couldn't you have done it outside?"
"sorry," she said apologetically. he rolled her eyes at her.
"i wanted to hex him too," ginny said grumpily. they ended up in their common room, discussing the night's events.
"i already caused awsten enough grief," hermione said, rolling her eyes.
"you should have hexed him more than that," theo said, and pansy made a noise of agreement.
"i'm sure that harry will have words for him," hermione said, curled up on the end of the couch.
malfoy walked into the room and made as if he was going to sit next to her, then sat on the other side of the couch. blaise squinted at him. "where were you?"
"bathroom," he muttered.
"liar!" pansy shrieked. "what did you do to him?!"
malfoy scowled. "nothing permanent."
"why would you-" hermione started.
"because he hurt you," malfoy said angerly, looking up abruptly. there was a furious fire lit in his silver eyes that took hermione by surprise.
hermione didn't say anything, but smiled softly to herself. it was nice that she had so many people who cared about her that much.