𝐨𝐧𝐞. 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐳𝐨𝐧𝐞

danger zone.
" PAGE ; ONE "
maria & the geckos.

     MARIA SITS WITH HER back against the headboard, papers littered across the top of her bed, along with a couple of books she'd picked up from the store

     MARIA SITS WITH HER back against the headboard, papers littered across the top of her bed, along with a couple of books she'd picked up from the store. Currently, a leaflet for the local clinic holds her interest. After all, she just found out about her pregnancy. It's unbelievable. It had been at least a couple of months since she'd had sex. One night stands were typically not her thing, but four months ago she had broken her rule in favor of a night with a handsome boy with a golden smile.
     But four months is a long time. She knew from research that she was relatively small and a bump would take longer to show. But just how long that would be is anyone's guess. She's almost halfway through her pregnancy with the smallest pudge to show for it. She had begun to worry. Could she be pregnant? Is the baby healthy? What do I tell my Dad? There's an actual person growing inside of her. The notion that one day soon, she'd done a mother, gets to her, leaving salty trails to run down her flushed face.
     Subconsciously, her nimble hands spread over the soft skin over her belly, tracing lightly over where she imagines the baby might be.
     Stay calm. It's going to be okay. Just breathe.
     She takes in long, deep breaths. Her racing heart and mind slow, for now. Until another ten minutes passes and she has to talk herself down again. She had already established that getting an abortion was not an option. For one, she's too far along according to Texas law. The only loophole had to come by way of a medical emergency.
And, yes, adoption is an option. But, if she was being wholeheartedly honest, she didn't want to let go of this baby. As unexpectedly timing as it had, it was a dream she'd always longed for—in a far, far, distant future.
Maybe it was dumb, but in her heart, she knew it'd be alright.
     There was fear. Fear at becoming a mother at this stage in her life? Especially after having just lost her own? The future she had so carefully avoided is now facing her dead on. Maria was only just recently contemplating if she wanted to go to college. Now, Maria is responsible for this other life. A cosmic joke, seeing as she could barely even care for her own wellbeing, let alone a child. Then naive hope swells in her chest and it's back to her lovely fantasies.
     Oh God, what am I going to do?
     She winced, holding the back of her head as thumping music shakes the wall behind her. Five minutes of her chaos and the unwarranted soundtrack to it, pushes her over the edge. The bass pounds louder and picture frames bounces against the wall. She huff's, throwing her fuzzy blankets aside as she swings her legs of the edge of her bed. She's practically running as she leaves and stomps down the hall. She comes to a stop outside her brother's heavily decorated door. A sign hangs with the words, 'DANGER ZONE!', in big yellow letters.
     "Danger zone? He's ninety pounds soaking wet." She mutters to herself, as she begins to pound on the door. He doesn't answer until she's seconds away from punching a hold in it.
     Her brother, Scott, looks at her with wide brown eyes. She imagines what she must look like, his crazed looking sister, with hair all knotted and oily. Were her red eyes obvious? Did he notice the bruised and puffy eye bags she now sports? She cringed at knowing he is going to assume all this was a result of heavy drinking, a recent habit she had developed. Shit, alcohol. It isn't safe for the baby, obviously, but she hadn't know about it when she had spent all those nights out, getting wasted.
     "For the billionth time, could you please lower your music?" She sighs.
     Scott's brows furrow and his head turns, looking around the hall in confusion. "What music? I don't hear any music."
     It's wrong to close-fist punch your family. It's wrong to close-fist punch your family.
     "You know what music! An idiot you may be but deaf? Not exactly a lifelong affliction of yours."
     A grin tugs at the corner of his lips, his eyes laughing, "Mars, you're looking pretty busted, maybe somethings wrong with your hearing. I'd get that checked out soon if I were you."
     Her nostrils flare and her nails dig into her palm.
    "Don't play dumb, Scott. You know what I'm talking about s--so just keep it down!"
     Storming away, she's not entirely blind to the confused look he sends her way. A couple of weeks ago she would've stayed and argued with him for hours. At least that's what others called it. As siblings, they had more than their share of squabbles. It was how they showed their love, pointless arguments. It could carry on for hours, finally ending when they inevitably crack up at someone's comeback. 
     His concern turns genuine, face pinching as he examines her from head to toe. There was something very wrong with her and Scott was trying to look for a clue to as to why. Not willing to subject her to a verbal inquisition, she turns around and slams her door behind her. Scott shuffles to her door, pausing outside of it, before deciding to retreat for the moment.
     Slipping back into bed, she sighs as the walls stop shaking. The music having been turned down, only a slight murmur fills her ears.
     Back to trying to come up with a plan.
     Planning though, had never been her strong suit. She has to figure this out, fast. This baby's life was in her hands.
     May God help her make the right choice.
     For not only herself but for this baby.

authors note; hello! this is set a few weeks from before the series starts. i want to give some time to where you can get to see her reaction. i'm still fleshing our her character but our girl has some odd parts that even she doesn't know about. maria is adopted, which will be touched on a little more later. scott and maria will have a very sweet bond.

Comment and Vote if you like this chapter. Feedback is always appreciated.

(If you don't that's fine too. Silent readers are still readers. You do your thing boo)