Chapter 3 - A Good Night Gone Bad

Start from the beginning

‘Well it was nice seeing you,’ she said politely. ‘I’d better get back to my friends; they’re saving me a seat.’

‘Oh of course,’ said Professor Mason. ‘Yes it is rather busy tonight, and I know it’s not the done thing to be seen fraternising with faculty members.’ Both he and Madeline laughed.

‘Well, see you in class,’ she said.

‘Yes, you have a good night.’ Madeline made her way over to the table where her friends were sitting, wondering who this Mike could be. As she approached, Ben took his feet off of the chair he was saving for her.

‘What kept you?’ he asked, as she sat down.

‘Oh, I saw Professor Mason,’ said Madeline, pulling her chair in.

‘He’s here?’ asked Abby.

‘Yeah, he knows Jack, apparently.’

‘Small world,’ said Ben. ‘Anyway, Madeline this is Mike Newman, Mike, meet Madeline Jameson.’ The young man sitting next to Ben smiled shyly and waved a small hello.

‘Nice to meet you,’ said Madeline.

‘Nice to meet you too,’ said Mike quietly. Ben grinned to himself and Madeline caught sight of it. He’s up to something, she thought. She looked back at Mike who tried to meet her gaze but kept staring into his lap, and when the conversation lulled she tried to spur it back into action.

‘So how do you two know each other?’ she asked.

‘Class,’ said Ben, slapping his friend heartily on the back, causing him to jolt forwards slightly. ‘Mike’s my go to guy when I’m stuck’

‘Really?’ said Abby. ‘And I thought you knew it all.’

‘Hey, even us geniuses need a little help now and then,’ smiled Ben.

‘Well genius, you can help us by getting some drinks.’ Ben looked out into the crowded café and made a face.

‘Okay, but you owe me one,’ he said cheekily.

‘I owe you nothing,’ said Abby, making a face back at him.

‘Fair enough,’ said Ben, as he stood up and fished his wallet out of his pocket. ‘Same again, Mike?’

‘Oh, yeah, thanks,’ said Mike.

‘Ladies?’ asked Ben, looking from Abby to Madeline.

‘I’ll have a beer,’ said Abby.

‘Jack and Coke,’ said Madeline.

‘Oh ho, serious drinker here,’ said Ben, smiling fiendishly. ‘Okay, if I’m not back in five minutes send out the National Guard.’

‘Just get going,’ said Abby.

‘Okay, I’m gone.’ Ben stepped awkwardly out from the table and disappeared in the direction of the bar. As Madeline, Abby and Mike made small talk a spotlight was turned on, illuminating a small stage with a stool and a microphone stand. Into the circle of light stepped Jack Greene, carrying a microphone, which he slotted in place on to the stand. He flicked it on and tapped it a few times to make sure it was working.

‘Good evening everyone,’ he said, squinting into the light. ‘I’d like to welcome you all to tonight’s poetry reading. I’m very pleased to see so many of you here so without further ado let’s start the show.’ He disappeared out of the spotlight and was replaced by a short young woman wearing black-rimmed glasses and carrying a small red book, the first of the nights’ poets.